What's new

Purchased my first bottle of Thayer's witch hazel today

and I am going to start incorporating it as part of my post-shave routine. Before I shave tomorrow, I just wanted to make sure that I am going to use it correctly. After I wash off my shaving cream with warm water, I am supposed to splash cold water on my skin to close my pores and soothe my face. After that, I pat my face dry with a towel, and THEN I introduce the witch hazel to my face via cotton balls or a soft pad. I just let the witch hazel dry on my face, before adding any balm or aftershave.

^^^So, is that correct, guys? I want to make sure that I am going to utilize the witch hazel correctly. I am really hoping it helps with my irritation and white head problem.

That's correct I find just pouring it into my hand is easier than cotton balls or pads. Most days I don't use an AS as the witch hazel is enough.

That's about it. I don't use any cotton balls. Just put some WH in your palm and apply like aftershave. I have two different ones - one with alcohol and one without. I cold water shave to begin with - tightens the pores, makes the beard stand up and Wah-Lah, close shave but since the skin is tightened, no weepers like in the old days (a month ago - ha!).

So rinse off the soap with cold water. (This is the point to run an alum block over your face which gives you "feedback" as to how well you shaved. Any tingle tells you it was too abraded and to ease up next time. If you rinse the soap off and apply an alum block then make sure to rinse off after the album. THEN dry off hands and face. Pour a bit of WH in the palm and apply directly to the face. Wipe it all over. Do any one of several things as you get ready for the day for a moment or so. Then apply the AS of choice. Let air dry as you get dressed and, "Top 'O the Day to ye, mate!"

Last edited:
Yep, pretty much. I don't use cotton balls either, I just put it in my palm and massage it in my my fingers. I'll let it air dry as I clean up my mess, then I apply my aftershave of choice for the day.

I too forego the cotton ball/pad routine, but I found a small (3.5 oz) clear plastic spray bottle at Sally Beauty that I use for application of my generic WH. After I apply, I rub it in with my hands.

Cheap ($2.00 or so), works well, and is less messy. If you're trying to stretch your dollars, it also makes your bottle of WH last longer as you're not just splashing it around willy-nilly.

I do a cold water splash after I rinse off the lather, but I wouldn't say it's necessary. We all experiment until we find a routine we like. I also pour a generous amount in my palm, rub my hands together, splash it on and let it air dry. If you find it doesn't help with irritation, try the WH with alcohol. I used an alcohol splash after shaving for too many years and couldn't make the switch to alcohol-free Thayers. I prefer the Dickinson's WH because it has a smaller opening in the cap and is easier to control than generic. The bottle also looks nicer on the counter than generic.

I use warm water to clean the soap/cream then use alum with warm water and finally wash with cold water then use WH.
I use a spray bottle(purchased a spray bottle for $2 at target) as well for the WH. With cotton ball a lot of WH is needed. With spray bottle, I just spray a little on my palm and rub it in my face. This way Thayers last a little longer. Once the WH dries, I use Nivea AS. The whole cleaning process takes a minute or two.

I started with cotton balls and switched to just splashing. One thing the cotton ball will do is tell you if you have a BBS or not.

I use warm water to clean the soap/cream then use alum with warm water and finally wash with cold water then use WH.
I use a spray bottle(purchased a spray bottle for $2 at target) as well for the WH. With cotton ball a lot of WH is needed. With spray bottle, I just spray a little on my palm and rub it in my face. This way Thayers last a little longer. Once the WH dries, I use Nivea AS. The whole cleaning process takes a minute or two.

For me, alum and WH serve the same purpose in my rotation: first-aid. Emphasis on first.

After rinsing off the lather with warm water, I either rub on the alum block (if the shave was particularly rough and I have weepers), or I pat dry and smear on the generic WH. In either case, I then whistle and clean while the face dries.

First-aid accomplished, I then rinse clean with cold water, pat dry again, then the aftershave. This is why I don't spend my money on fancy WH. Store-brand for me. Of course, if Thayer's provides enough scent and toning for you, and supplants a separate aftershave, then the cost balances out I suppose.

Really, there is no right or wrong way. I use WH in a similar manner, but I skip the warm water rinse and use cold water immediately after shaving. I just pore the WH (I use Dickenson's) directly on my hands and then apply to face followed by a similar application of aftershave.

Top Bottom