What's new

Hair styling product recommendations

I thought I would ask you fine gentlemen for your opinions on the above subject. Over the years I have tried numerous hair styling products gels, creams and waxes etc. and have never really found anything that stands out from the crowd.

My hair style is a short(ish) crop and my hair is relatively fine and fluffy. Also I think my hair grows fast and whilst it is clearly getting longer its appearance is that it gets bigger, dare I say it, bouffant! I find myself going to the barbers every 2/3 weeks for a cut.

I am currently using American Crew Fiber/Forming Cream. I would prefer my hair to look reasonably natural rather than being caked in product.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

I thought I would ask you fine gentlemen for your opinions on the above subject. Over the years I have tried numerous hair styling products gels, creams and waxes etc. and have never really found anything that stands out from the crowd.

My hair style is a short(ish) crop and my hair is relatively fine and fluffy. Also I think my hair grows fast and whilst it is clearly getting longer its appearance is that it gets bigger, dare I say it, bouffant! I find myself going to the barbers every 2/3 weeks for a cut.

I am currently using American Crew Fiber/Forming Cream. I would prefer my hair to look reasonably natural rather than being caked in product.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Ever try a tonic?

Ever try a tonic?

No and an interesting idea as I thought that a liquid hair product would not create hold or be very sticky. I would be interested to know how people's hair feels after using a hair tonic. Also any recommendations as to which ones to try? Thanks.

i have been using christophe pomade for a few months. it is more of a cream. holds my hair well without looking greasy. i also purchased some groom and clean by suave at wal mart this weekend i've only used it once so i'm not real sure yet.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
I'm curious about the same question. I've been using, and liking, the Anthony Logistics hair gel for some time now, and hoping to find a less expensive product to do the same things it does.

First off, I'd suggest you try that gel, as well as the Taylor hair gel (much lighter).

I'm going to be experimenting with various tonics &c after reading threads such as this one ... post away! all ye who know!

johnniegold

"Got Shoes?"
I use Clubman hair tonic (greaseless). If applied generously, it holds pretty well. I also use Pashana hair tonic which I supplement with a little Kiehl's Styling gel for extra hold.

I have 7 in rotation right now and ordering 2 more love them. Here are my thoughts YMMV. They are a lighter hold then any gel you would use a very natural look with control. Also very healthy for your hair and scalp after my first month I all of a sudden realized how much more healthier my hair looked. There are different levels of control but none wait a gel would do it is more control and smell then hold the more oil the more control like Lucky tiger 3 Purpose and Pashana Eau de Quinine Hair Tonic with Oil. The Pashana line is excellent as well as Lucky Tiger Pinaud is not bad but not as good as the other two if you Can find someone that still has Lucky tiger 3 Roses it is awesome but discontinued I stocked up so have not looked but you might find some. If you find one and have a question I have tried them all.

Try Brylcream. Inexpensive, you can find it everywhere, and "a little dab will do ya!" I find it holds and looks very natural and soft. You will notice washing it out at night or in the morning as it will feel a bit like lanolin in your hair but will wash out cleanly.

Dennis

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
I have 7 in rotation right now and ordering 2 more love them. Here are my thoughts YMMV. They are a lighter hold then any gel you would use a very natural look with control. Also very healthy for your hair and scalp after my first month I all of a sudden realized how much more healthier my hair looked. There are different levels of control but none wait a gel would do it is more control and smell then hold the more oil the more control like Lucky tiger 3 Purpose and Pashana Eau de Quinine Hair Tonic with Oil. The Pashana line is excellent as well as Lucky Tiger Pinaud is not bad but not as good as the other two if you Can find someone that still has Lucky tiger 3 Roses it is awesome but discontinued I stocked up so have not looked but you might find some. If you find one and have a question I have tried them all.

Thanks for the info. I see that Pashana has several products ... are they all the same except for scent, or do they have different properties as well?

I use Pinaud Clubman gel. The regular, not the Super Hold one. Works great and has to be the most economical hair product I've ever used. The big jar I have has been used regularly for the past 6 months and well over half full still.

I also use Jeris Hair Tonic w/ oil. Not in conjunction with the Pinaud, by the way. Maintains a nice hold without my hair feeling hard or sticky. Haven't tried the non-oil version. Both are available cheap from Sally's Beauty Supply.

I've worn my hair fairly short for several years now but have always had cowlicks and the crown area is totally unmanageable. Anyhow, I've had good results with granier fructise (sp?) gel... let it dry and comb it out for a natural look with good hold. For the Summer, I've gone with a "medium and tight" (military-type cut), so styling is not an issue... just wash and go.

Thanks for the info. I see that Pashana has several products ... are they all the same except for scent, or do they have different properties as well?

No the are different not only the scent different levels of hold and conditioning

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
No the are different not only the scent different levels of hold and conditioning

Ah! At QED I see Pashana hair lotion, bay rum hair tonic, cologne hair lotion, and blue orchid hair lotion ... how do those 4 stack up against one another?

Ah! At QED I see Pashana hair lotion, bay rum hair tonic, cologne hair lotion, and blue orchid hair lotion ... how do those 4 stack up against one another?
In order of heaviness Light(less control less conditioning) to heavy (more control and conditioning/oil)
Bay Rum
Cologne
Original
Blue Orchid

Now scent is all personal preference all very light though

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
In order of heaviness Light(less control less conditioning) to heavy (more control and conditioning/oil)
Bay Rum
Cologne
Original
Blue Orchid

Now scent is all personal preference all very light though

Thanks!! :biggrin1:

Find a new hairstylist. Generally, barbers are not as skilled as salon cosmetologists. Bring in photos of how you would like your hair to look and relate your concerns as you did in your post. A seasoned professional should be able to give you the right cut and product combination to satisify you, assuming your hair's thickness, density and growth directions allow for it. Don't go to a budget salon, as you usually get what you pay for. Ask someone who's hair looks great who cuts their hair and try that person. If that stylist doesn't come through for you, try another until one does.

I like Kiehl's products: My hair is slightly longer now, and I use "Malleable Molding Paste"; when it was spikier, I used a waxier product, the name of which now escapes me. Both are pretty versatile products and give good hold, they feel very soft and not like gel which i find to be a bit too glue-like.

I use Clubman hair tonic (greaseless). If applied generously, it holds pretty well. I also use Pashana hair tonic which I supplement with a little Kiehl's Styling gel for extra hold.

I also use the Pashana right out of the shower after a towel dry. I then follow it up after a light blow dry then finish with Kiehl's Creme with Silk Groom, not greasy at all, just a bit expensive.

Top Bottom