What's new

Horrible shave in Santa Fe, NM

During weekend getaway to Santa Fe I decided to get a shave a barber shop. I asked the concierge for recommendations and he sent me to Cutting Edge. For some reason I am always submissive to barbers. I think its because my dad would tell me to sit still and not move when he would take me with him to get a haircut. So the gentleman there, a very nice person, told me to sit down. He told me that he was going to use a safety razor. He placed warm wet towels on my face. Very nice. Then, at this point I should of ran for the door, he pulled out a can of Barbasol and started to lather up my face. No brush, no cream, no hot lather. My fear of barbers won me over. So I sat through it all the way. To top it off he pulled out a disposable razor. I should of called the police at this point. He used random directions of strokes. No WTG, XTG, ATG. Nothing but erratic, frivolous strokes. No multiple passes. At the end I felt my face on fire. He used some unknown type of after shave. FIRE!!!!!! I paid and left. I should of researched the place a little more, or should have asked him more questions about how he was going to shave me. Oh and by the way...he also managed to mess up my hair. So when in Santa Fe....please avoid this place. I think I would do a better job after having drunk half a litter of Scotch than this nice old man. I am terribly mad, this was my first shave at a barber shop and it was not a nice experience. I'm off to buy three gallons of antibiotic cream so that I wont break out as bad. Thank You.

This has to have been a practical joke. A disposable razor with goo!!!!
Quick, look around, there must be cameras on you right now. :w00t:

This should be illegal or something - it's really false marketing, it is expected that he will use more than a disposable?

During weekend getaway to Santa Fe I decided to get a shave a barber shop. I asked the concierge for recommendations and he sent me to Cutting Edge. For some reason I am always submissive to barbers. I think its because my dad would tell me to sit still and not move when he would take me with him to get a haircut. So the gentleman there, a very nice person, told me to sit down. He told me that he was going to use a safety razor. He placed warm wet towels on my face. Very nice. Then, at this point I should of ran for the door, he pulled out a can of Barbasol and started to lather up my face. No brush, no cream, no hot lather. My fear of barbers won me over. So I sat through it all the way. To top it off he pulled out a disposable razor. I should of called the police at this point. He used random directions of strokes. No WTG, XTG, ATG. Nothing but erratic, frivolous strokes. No multiple passes. At the end I felt my face on fire. He used some unknown type of after shave. FIRE!!!!!! I paid and left. I should of researched the place a little more, or should have asked him more questions about how he was going to shave me. Oh and by the way...he also managed to mess up my hair. So when in Santa Fe....please avoid this place. I think I would do a better job after having drunk half a litter of Scotch than this nice old man. I am terribly mad, this was my first shave at a barber shop and it was not a nice experience. I'm off to buy three gallons of antibiotic cream so that I wont break out as bad. Thank You.

At one time I thought I wanted a Barber Shop shave, just for the experience. The more I hear about the experiences of others in the US, the more I will enjoy my own shaves. Sad but true!

Just pour the scotch in a pan, immerse your face, and you won't need the antibiotic cream:a54::a46:

That sounds like a Horrible experience:yikes:

Maybe it's time to set up a kind of shave police. I thought M3 shaves in a barbershop were like swearing in a church, but disposables and cans? The worst barbershop shave I had was an all-proraso shavette shave with a mediocre preshave. Mediocre, not bad.
What's next? Lawnmowers?
I'm sure the fine gents living in the US will direct you to barbers worthy of their title in your area.

I'm afraid that's getting to be the norm for barbershop shaves. But I am surprised by the can of goo. No hot lather machine? :yikes:

I've had a handful of barbershop shaves... most were with hot barbasol from a machine and a shavette and were pretty mediocre. That said, the best barbershop shave I've ever had was in India with hot towels, gillette gel, and an M3. The guy doing it was a 20-something metro/bollywood looking indian guy, but he did some magic with that M3. I've since had better DE shaves at my own hand, but it was my best shave ever at that point in time and one i'll always remember.

Nope.....the only good thing was the hot towels. Which actually he gave me a good idea for this: Placing a wet towel in a microwave for a couple of seconds.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
At one time I thought I wanted a Barber Shop shave, just for the experience. The more I hear about the experiences of others in the US, the more I will enjoy my own shaves. Sad but true!

You are younger than I, but I remember GOOD barber shop shaves. I long for one, but fear they no longer exist.

Top Bottom