What's new

Two flea market finds

It was a rainy, dreary day at the Porte de Vanves flea market, but I managed to find a couple of nice things. First, a French razor in near-mint condition, with an odd pivoting tightening stud. It took me a minute to realize that it's a slant. The handle can be tightened on either side, allowing use of both sides of the blade (is this a common feature of slants?). The handle looks to me like stainless and it's beautifully worked. The head, on the other hand, is a rather crude casting. Odd. The whole thing weighs a healthy 66 grams. It has clearly never been used, and I won't be doing so either: these things give me the willies.

The other find is a bronze statuette of a melancholy frog. I would guess it's from the 1920s or early 30s. With my favorite razor cradled in its lap, it adds a whimsical touch to my den.

Attachments

• $DSC02140.JPG
    95.1 KB · Views: 285
Last edited:
Love that frog! What a great piece of artwork for your shave den. It looks like it was just made to hold your razor.

How does the pivot work?

By loosening and tightening the handle, you can swing it from one side to the other, sort of like tacking a sailboat. The middle position is not very stable, and it's only for putting the razor away, not for shaving.

Attachments

• $DSC02143.JPG
    142.4 KB · Views: 277
  • $DSC02141.JPG
    98.6 KB · Views: 278
I'm glad that everyone seems to really like the frog, it's cute...but that razor is really something else. That's the first that I've ever seen like that, congrats. I bought a nice french made razor the other day if you remember my post.:thumbup1:

another lover of the frog, but the handle on that razor is even cooler! and the pivoting head is to fold down flat? for travel or something i assume?

another lover of the frog, but the handle on that razor is even cooler! and the pivoting head is to fold down flat? for travel or something i assume?

The pivoting head turns this razor into a "slant". This is a special category of DE razors with a cocked head. They have a large following among the true experts (just do a Search and you will see). I have never been tempted to use a slant but, then again, I prefer to keep my blood inside my veins and arteries.

Top Bottom