What's new

6 month de shaver... 5 month forum lurker.

After standing in the back of the room for a while I have decided to finally clear my throat.

I decided I was finally through with cartridge razors after going to the local walmart and seeing that the fusion blades of which I had been told were the best in the business (until the proglides came out.. duh!), were $20+...

I looked up and down the shaving isle for what felt like an eternity. I couldnt go back to mach3's... Thats ONLY 3 BLADES! They can't be better than 5 blades, not even the "turbos". I saw the off-brand 3 4 5 and 6 blades cartridges that were somehow a fraction of the gillettes but they still were not gillettes. Off brand oreos are good cookies, but they are not oreos.

And then I saw them.. Wilkinson Sword Double Edge blades. What truly caught my eye was the price tag, roughly $1.65 for 5 blades. But what do I use them with??? They sell the blades but no tool to make them work. I thought maybe they just didnt have any in stock. My town is one of the few around here that still has an "old" wal mart (they are making it a super now... ug). So I checked at other wal marts every chance I had. No luck.

Finally I turned to the internet. Being 26, I was no stranger to finding information using Al Gore's interweb... I came across several articles refering to classic shaving's website and a week or so later I had their classic tto, a puck of their brand vanilla soap, and a 10 pack of shiny new feathers (I know... I know) waiting on my porch. The work clock has never moved slower than that day.

Shortly afterwards I stumbled upon B&B. I have been able to answer every single question or concern that I've had without even making a post. I finally post now because I feel like I have gained the knowledge to help others in their transition to shaving the way our elders did.

I haven't looked back since. I've upgraded my hardware and software a time or two since then. My technique has greatly improved. I haven't seen a nick or weeper in weeks.

I give great thanks to and have great respect for all the members of this forum. I have used many other forums and none have been as well organized and maintained as this one. Answers are always easy to find (if you look) and everybody is as helpful as possible.

Thank you all. Sorry for the long post.

The Count of Merkur Cristo

B&B's Emperor of Emojis
MooGooGuyDan:
Ah ha!!!.....so you say you've been lurking for 5 months have you now)? But that's OK because you're with us now (another one comes out from the mist). :lol1:

Welcome to the B & B (besides being enrolled in the fictional, sacred and utopian Order of Shavedom). Please feel free to come up to the sun deck 'sit-a-spell' and thank you for dis-engaging you're 'lurking device'.

It sounds like you're off to a great start (I'm glad you got rid of those crappy cartrigdes....file 13 them I say!!!), and yes...this Forum has the knowledge, ideas, and alround 'know-how' to assist in your Wet-Shaving experience. In a nut-shell...your 'gonna' love it here.

It was very wise and 'sage' advice to get a Razor Blade Sampler to see what blade is a good fit (mild, moderate & aggressive, ect...), for your face and Razor. By the way, I happen to like Feathers, Kai's, Treets, Trig and Gillette 7 O'clock just to name a few with my Merkur's 23C & 38C razors.

When you receive your Sampler, my advice is to try 2,3,4 or 5 blades (however which amount per blade brand), before moving on to the next blade.

Since you already have a Sampler, I started a Thread entitled "In what Order should I test these Sampler Razor Blades?", and the best advice was from member Optometrist a.k.a David who stated;

"I say jump straight in with the feathers. Yes, they are sharp, but you learn very quickly to let the weight of the razor do the work for you. If you can get the feather right, then it's plain sailing with the others. A few nicks and cuts early on are nothing to worry about and stand you in good stead. Start with a lesser blade and it's a continual learning process as you step up the level of sharpness". :yesnod:

Also, member Npsarros stated, "Keep a spreadsheet with every shave [you], have taken, rating each blade as [you], go along". My spread data ratings reads in columns as thus (PM me and I will send you my workable spread sheet example to your e-mail address.);

Razor Blade / Country / Type - Sharpness? (Aggressive [Very Sharp], Moderate Sharpness or Mild Sharpness), - Closeness of Shave? - Smoothness/Roughness of Shave? - Comfort of Shave? - Overall Rating? (awesome, passable or unpleasant), and Compatible with your Razor(s)?

My Thread and member Posted Replies "In what Order should I test these Sampler Razor Blades?", which may be of some interest and help to you.

http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php?t=180210&highlight=order

The B & B Wet Shaving Instructions and Tutorials.

http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php?t=71700

Although, you may not be additted yet (I think I'm holding up fairly well...with a few exceptions), because we all suffer (gladly and are doomed perhaps :laugh:), from this shaving complusion (and other Acquisition Disorders), because at times..."Resistance is futile".
proxy.php

Please don't forget once you get time....please tell all of about your shaving tools / kit and a little about yourself in the Hall of Fame sub-forum.

Christopher
proxy.php
"Life is [like] a razor, you are always in hot water or a scrape" Anonymous

Attached Image...a.k.a. The Lurking Device

i haven't looked back since. I've upgraded my hardware and software a time or two since then. My technique has greatly improved. I haven't seen a nick or weeper in weeks.

+1

Top Bottom