Thread: Can witch hazel help with whiteheads?

Default Can witch hazel help with whiteheads?

Just curious. I am thinking about taking the witch hazel plunge, but I would like to know if it might help prevent whitehead breakouts, which seem to be the result of shaving. I seem to get clusters of whiteheads in my "moustache area", and at times, along my chin. They appear like clockwork the morning after I shave. I shaved yesterday around 2 pm, and was fine all day. Then I woke up this morning, to discover these tiny whiteheads above my top lip. If I don't shave, I don't get them, and I don't normally have a problem with acne in other areas or at "non-shaving" times. So, might applying witch hazel as part of my post-shave routine help prevent these "morning after" whiteheads, or am I grasping at straws here?

Crowdsourcing medical problems can and probably will lead to disaster.
    Visit a doctor instead for professional advice.

Images

i believe yes. try a thayers sample pack, so you can try 0%, 10% and 20% alcohol as well as different fragrances. i use a spritzer top caues i am smart enough to not to spray my eyes of the time
    open comb or go home

thanks noraajagger, I appreciate it. Love your avatar. I have just decided to start applying witch hazel as part of my post shave routine, so I figured I would ask for some advice, since I am a newbie. Hopefully a few other blokes will weigh in. :)

I don't see how it could hurt to try. I've noticed my skin is much healthier in general since I started using it. You've really got not much to lose by trying, it's cheap. You don't need to buy the expensive stuff, I use the generic $2 stuff and add a dozen drops of a scented essential oil. Since your having skin problems, I would not add any essential oils at first to keep your variables to a minimum.
    Bob
    Hey man, if we're gonna wear uniforms man, you know let's have everybody wear something different.

I have the occasional Whitehead after shaving as well. For the last 4 days I have been using Thayers and noticed my overall complexion is better and not any issues.

Just an off the wall question... Have you been putting anything on that area at all? Maybe a preparation you're putting on at night?

If so, maybe that was causing the problem?

Maybe try sterilizing the razor before use? Wash the face real good too? I think whiteheads are caused by skin infection. They have to be coming from somewhere.

Just things for you to consider.

I am not a doctor, but here some info:
    Whitehead: When the trapped sebum and bacteria stay below the skin surface, a whitehead is formed. Whiteheads may show up as tiny white spots, or they may be so small that they are invisible to the naked eye.

Witch hazel should help, I would try it, quite an inexpensive choice. Good luck

You're probably getting whiteheads from whatever aftershave or post-shave product you apply to your face afterwards. I doubt it that the whiteheads are a result of the act of shaving itself.
    [URL="http://www.TwinLuxe.com"]TwinLuxe.com[/URL] The finest grooming products for the modern man.