What's new

Suddenly my Tweezerman sheds

A few days ago, my Tweezerman badger brush started shedding. I've had it for about a year, and since it's my only brush, I use it daily. Within the last few days, it has started shedding. A lot. After I load the brush, several bristles are left on the surface of whatever soap I am using for the day's shave. They look like they're just breaking off, not falling out of the base of the knot. Any ideas why this would start happening all of a sudden, and if there's any way to stop it? Thanks, guys!

I'm not soaking in hotter water, and I haven't changed anything in my shaving routine in quite some time. It's a conundrum.:blink: Maybe this is an indication it's time to get a boar, like an Omega.

I Have not personally done this but there are many threads. You remove the current one and put some epoxy in the hole then set the new knot in and allow to cure. I think You may only be without the use of the brush for a day.

I am not sure that the Tweezerman handle warrants a replacement knot. Not the highest quality handle.

I would either go for a new brush (I love Omegas personally) or if you want to create your own brush - I would pick up a vintage brush with a nice handle to restore or buy a new handle along with a new knot and just assemble it.

When it is for sure not the glue holding the knot together but actually the hairs breaking at the base it might be an indication of using too much force when lathering. Normally brushes can be used much longer than just one year before hairs start breaking. My guess is though that the complete hairs come out meaning that the quality of the 'glue' at the base of your knot is of poor quality.

A big +1 on the Omegas but I prefer their shorter knots much more; I never go beyond 50 mm anymore.

That's why I'm interested in this particular Omega. I've been interested in trying out a boar brush. Thanks for the responses so far, gentlemen. I never even thought about too much force being the cause of breaking the hairs.:001_rolle(duh!) I'll lighten up a little bit and see if that brings the breakage to a halt or not.

You will likely enjoy the Omega more than the Tweezerman, and more so after the Omega breaks in. I found my Tweezerman rather scratchy.

Do you soak the wood handle or stand it up in a container to keep the wood dry? Soaking the wood can cause it to swell and then contract and will damage the glue and handle over time.

Phil

Top Bottom