What's new

Is this Straight worth saving?

Hi All,

I got this Straight "Thrown in" when I got a DE at a local antique shop.

I know nothing about straight razors, but as my enthusiasm for DE shaving grows, I expect that I'll be itching to try a straight razor in due time.

That said, whether this thing will ever be usable or wll be just a decorative item is where I need your help:

The blade is sharp, but not shaveready, not by a long shot.

I don't see/feel any nicks in the blade, but I do notice, near the 'point' there seems to be a line in the blade that I can't tell if it's a surface scratch/stain or a crack in the blade itself.

based on these pictures, what can you guys tell me about this Razor:
Is it worth saving? (If I want to shave with it)
Any idea if that line is crack?
Any recomendations for cleaning it up?
How do I get it honed?

thanks in advance fellas, pics:

If the blade is not cracked, can't tell by the pics, it should make for a real nice shaver once honed up.

not sure if this helps or not, but I realzed that the pictue doesnt really show the area I'm concerned about very well

I'm not overly worried about the scales, but thi line on the blade.

I would hate to send this for honing and have the blade break while being worked on (or later while scraping my face:blink:)

this is the section of blade I'm worried bout

That looks more like a scratch to me, but it is hard to tell. Most cracks I've seen are usually perpendicular to the shaving edge. If what you are pointing to were really a crack, it seems that the tip would have fallen off.
I agree with the others; send this puppy off for a hone and enjoy the ride.

To me, it looks like a scratch. I've seen lots of razors with cracked blades and they look a lot worse than that.

Agree with all above. Definitely looks like a scratch. She should clean up nicely. MDunn is right, too. There is great satisfaction in doing it yourself, and it really isn't that hard. I am not the handiest fellow in the world, but I have restored and shaved with an old Genco I picked up on the bay, using only the "How To" threads posted here.

Thanks for the feedback guys, I am going to see if I can't get this baby all shiny and mirrored up.

Does anyone know anything about this particular brand/maker?

quick google search didn't turn much up (wasn't a 'recommended' or 'avoid at all costs' brand) and the only listing I found for it was Jackson Shear Co. but they make scissors, and I'd like to know if/when they produced straights.

will post pics of the resotore when I get to it.

Jackson Fremont O. on the ?tang? (between the shoulder and the pivot) no other markings what-so-ever...

I assumed it was probably a vintage American razor, but was half afraid it was junk not worth mytime, and half worried that I would end up 'fixing it' only to have it turn out to be a 'collector's item' and my cavalier restoration had destroyed its intrinsic value.

Hollow grind and shoulder less!? That's a keeper in my book. :thumbup:

I agree, it looks like a scratch and nothing more. Razors are ground edge to spine and the micro grooves remaining direct cracks in that direction.

Top Bottom