What's new

DE shave no. 3

Hey all,

So yesterday I heeded some prior advice and paid closer attention to my shave prep and it made a big difference. Much better and more comfortable lather and the razor seemed to glide easier. I was really focused on slowing down and concentrating on blade angle/pressure. It still feels a bit awkward in spots but I am getting used to it. I felt so comfortable after my 2nd pass that I decided to try an ATG pass on my neck and I'm happy to report that I suffered no irritation, nicks, etc.

I have three questions for you more seasoned shavers out there...

1) Is there any way besides a scuttle to keep my lather/brush hot in between applications?

2) Do you have any advice for the XTG pass, specifically on the neck? It just feels awkward to me. (Grain grows on an angle towards my shoulders under the cheeks and north-south directly under my chin)

3) After how many shaves should I replace my blade?

Thanks guys!

-Ben

Welcome to the site and congrats on your 3rd DE shave.

To answer your questions:

1 - I keep my lather bowl (with the brush in it) sitting in a sink of hot water - "poor mans scuttle"

2 - The neck maybe the trickiest place to shave as the grain is usually different than the rest of your face and can go in all kinds of weird directions. Make sure you have a good understanding of how the grain goes on your neck and then the rest is practise. DE shaving can feel weird at first since years of using multi-bladed hinged cartridge razors have left most people will little shaving technique. It will feel more natural as you get use to it.

3 - Blade replacement is hard to define. Generally once you start to feel the blade tugging rather than cleanly slicing thru the whiskers - it is time to replace it. Many people replace the blade after a set no of times - either because they know from experience that the next shave would the one they would feel the blade tugging - or - they just prefer to always have a fresh blade. Personally I replace a blade when the shave is not as close as I normally get (anywhere from 3 - 6 shaves) depending on the blade.

Ben,

You have made some great discoveries! Prep is indeed half the shave, and without good prep the shave just isn't satisfactory.

Before I got a large scuttle a couple of weeks ago, I used a large cappuccino cup with a handle, and kept it in my bathroom sink filled up half way with hot tap water. This worked well enough to keep the bowl warm.

XTG passes are also tricky on my neck. i have the best luck shaving in from the ear side of my neck to the center. I can only get a small portion of the area with a stroke, although it is getting easier with time.

I get 7 shaves per blade. This is very prep dependent to me. I used to get 3 shaves per Feather. Replace your blade when it tugs, skips, or feels rough on your face.

Have fun shaving!

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
Good work!

1) A scuttle is better to keep the temperature up. I don't use one, I leave my brush on the counter top until I need to re-lather. It gets cooler but not cold.

2) As it was said up here, short strokes. Practice will get you there.

3) Depends on your face, razor, technique, blade. I would suggest changing it once it starts pulling/tugging.

Hi Ben:

Some suggestions.

1. For warm lather get a candle or potpourri warmer and put your shaving mug on top of it. Works great and is not costly.

2. Yes it is awkward - but in time and practice it will become second nature.

3. As Luc said, it depends on you, your razor, and blade. When it starts to tug - even in the middle of a shave - toss the blade. They are relatively inexpensive.

Hi Ben:

Some suggestions.

1. For warm lather get a candle or potpourri warmer and put your shaving mug on top of it. Works great and is not costly.

2. Yes it is awkward - but in time and practice it will become second nature.

3. As Luc said, it depends on you, your razor, and blade. When it starts to tug - even in the middle of a shave - toss the blade. They are relatively inexpensive.

I agree!!! I use a chocolate fondue to keep my lather warm.

Top Bottom