What's new

Favorite Handle Shapes

Badger, boar? Pure, Best, Super? Dense, Floppy? Short or tall loft? Who cares? There's more to a brush than the knot. What are your favorite handles?

To look at? Rooney Beehive
To hold in hand? Simpson Tulip
Really intrigued by and fueling SBAD? Kent BK/BLK 4

I like the handle on my Rooney 3/2. It fits nicely in my hand.
Longer handles suit me better.
Check out the handle on my RV custom.
It's long and designed as an homage to my Montblanc pen (cap).
Notice that it doesn't have a standard flared out base.
I hold it with the base in the palm of my hand when I'm making the lather.

I like stubbies & chubbies for the most part. My Rooney 1/2 has the perfect handle for me. I would think that a Chubby 2 or 3 would be great as well.

I like so many types but these have my love about shapes. However I have not restored them yet. By the way Rooneys Heritage line brushes are so good looking(Victorian, Beehive and Emillion) with also Simpsons Tulip and Rooney type 3. The look on 3 band silvertip for butterscotches is good to me but I am open for 2 band knot. For white handles I think 2 band silvertip will be perfect.

Last edited:
I haven't looked at a brush from this standpoint. I have a Rooney 3/1 and a Simpson Colonel, but never gave a favorite handle shape much thought. The past two weeks I've been thinking about a second Simpson, reading reviews and flip-flopping between a Berkeley and a Duke 1. Adding this new factor to consider is not going to help.

For me the best feeling brush in my hand has to be the Eagle. The extra size on the bottom makes it incredibly comfortable to hold.

My favorite to hold is my Kent BK4. My favorite to look at is either my two tone Rooney 3-band Heritage or my pewter Ralph Lauren restoration done in black badger by Rudy.

Here are my favorite brush handles....

The green handle brush is a VDH handle with a TGN 2 band finest knot.
The black handle is of course an Omega 11574 boar bristle brush
The off white handle is I believe a franks shaving black badger.
The last brush in the top photo is a vintage Made Rite pure badger. I rarely if ever use this brush.

I have small hands and these brushes all fit very nicely in my hands. When I re-knotted the VDH brush I added lead shot to the hollow handle to give it some heft. The franks shaving brush handle appears to be made of glass because it is very very heavy for its size and unlike plastic it is very cold to the touch. I also really like the Persian jar shape of the Omega and I think my next brush will be a Simpson PJ2 or PJ3

Last edited:
Simpsons Colonel X2L for me.

I wonder how difficult the Shea moisture brush is to reknot?

I really like the shape of that one.

Top Bottom