What's new

Carolina Newb

Hello Gents!

So... thanks to this website, here I am one hour after my first DE shave. This all started two weeks ago when I visited an AOS store and was introduced to wetshaving for the first time(where has this been?). I walked in because I have struggled with ingrowns ever since I began shaving. I usually have around 15 to 20 ingrown hairs after every shave. Tried everything to get rid of them, then just learned to accept it and just use a needle to get them out. As a matter of fact, most times I sport a full beard just so I do not have to shave(though im a mountain guy and like it anyway).

While I came away fairly impressed by the 4 elements that were demonstrated, money and I do not part so easily. I came home and googled wetshaving.. and up came this site.

I became almost obsessed reading through all the posts My fiance thinks that I have gone nuts, though I have calmed down a bit. I learned enough to throw together a burma shave brush with some wally world VDH soap. My shaves improved with the quattro cheese grater that I have. My ingrowns decreased as well, but my face still hurt after a shave. Next came some Bigelow, Body Shop Maca, Clubman AS and Masters Bay Rum.

I ordered a DE89L from Amazon, and it was sitting on my front porch today! This thing looks awesome, but I was a little disappointed that it did not come with a case. It came with some Derby's, then I ordered some feathers and I snagged some Wilkonson Swords from Walmart.

I put in the Derby and got the ball rolling! I prepped with some canned foamy Old Spice. Washed that off and made a superlather with the VDH and Bigelow. When the moment of truth came, I didn't feel a thing. I actually thought that I had missed, but the hair was gone haha. Finished up without a nick, no irritation, hopefully no razorburn and ingrowns. Just have to wait and see. Feels pretty good for now though. After that came some bay rum splash. Smelling like this makes me wanna throw on a flannel shirt and build a log cabin haha!

Next up is a straight razor, once I get used to this. I like the old fashioned way of doing things anyway so this could be an addiction. I can't wait. Once that comes in, ill put on some Charlie Poole and mow em down. 1920s style!

Now my face isn't as smooth as I would like, but that was my first time so I guess it will come. My face does not hurt at all, which I am still trying to get over. Just doesn't feel right!

Thanks to all you guys for getting me into this, I may have finally licked the ingrown problem!:thumbup:

Welcome to B&B!

You certainly are having fun. It just gets better as you go. Your shaves will improve with practice using your new shaving tools.

Enjoy!

Bravo on your shave! Glad it turned out well for you. I'm migrating from DE's to STR8's. Fun and challenging.

It was good and bad. Much closer than the first. But then I got bold...and paid. XTG on my neck and I had sliced deli ham! Must be my blade angle.

Also... Am I nuts or have I dulled the Derby blade on my second shave? I have read that they are good for 4-5 shaves, but I have a very very tough beard. I could usually only get three shaves out of a schick quattro cartridge. I noticed some pulling this time, and I could hear the audible cuts of the stubble. That did not happen the first time..seemed to quietly slice through. Maybe I just paid more attention this time. Prep was the same. Any thoughts?

Top Bottom