What's new

Deodorizing a new brush

Just got a super badger brush (previously had the lowest grade badger). It really smells. Part of the enjoyment of shaving is the smell of the shaving cream as you apply it to your face for me. Is there any safe / non-damaging way to deodorize the brush?

And a side question, a couple of hairs came out of the brush the first time I used it. Is this normal? This is a vulfix brush, if that matters.

TAsunder said:
Just got a super badger brush (previously had the lowest grade badger). It really smells. Part of the enjoyment of shaving is the smell of the shaving cream as you apply it to your face for me. Is there any safe / non-damaging way to deodorize the brush?

And a side question, a couple of hairs came out of the brush the first time I used it. Is this normal? This is a vulfix brush, if that matters.
Depending upon the brush's manufacture, quite often a washing with shampoo followed by a mild hair conditioner is adequate to get rid of the wet dog aroma, aka eau de blaireau. Many brushes will shed some hair for the first week or so of use. If the shedding continues after this period, and the number of hairs is excessive (more than 5 or 10) you have a brush with manufacturing issues.

All you can do is basically follow Ron's advice and try to use creams that have a very powerful scent of their own that can mask the odor of the brush. The scent should begin to dissipate appreciably within the first two weeks of using your brush. Enjoy your new brush.

I just got a new badger brush on Tuesday and it smelled like a wet dog; Proraso is a really good soap/cream to use for deodorizing a new brush due to how strong its fragrance is and how cheap it is. After making a lather with the proraso, I would add enough hot water to the lather in the bowl so that it entirely covers all the bristles. I did this a couple of times and it knocked out most of the smell (or at least enough to make it tolerable to use the brush - plus I was able to practice my lathering techniques)

Shampoo... good idea. I even have some volumizing shampoo. I wonder if that will make the brush look more full-haired.

TAsunder,

Along the same lines as Zachary's suggestion...

Upon receiving a new brush, I usually perform practice lathers with several different creams before actually using the brush. I find this to effectively diminish the unpleasing odor.

I shampood it twice, applied conditioner, then lathered with proraso. It still had a faint stench. But after shaving with Nancy Boy shaving cream, it seems to be gone. Odd since I didn't really consider NB cream that strong.

I spoke with someone else whom I gave the same brush to, and theirs did not have the smell. Are they in need of a doctor visit or is it only something that happens occasionally?

WThomas0814

Ditto, ditto
I’ve never had a brush that stunk so bad it wasn’t corrected after one shave. I’ve heard of it, certainly, but never experienced it.

My current rotation brushes are Simpson Chubby 1 Best badger, Simpson Duke 3 Best badger, Semogue 620 boar, Semogue 830 boar, Semogue SOC boar, and Semogue 1305 boar. The boars smelled a bit musky out of the box, but, after soaking and shaving once, they only smell like the soap they were used on.

Prior to these, I had dirt cheap brushes (i.e. Perfecto “badger”) and mid-range Parker silver tip badgers (good Lord, I loved those handles). They had no smell at all.

Is this, perhaps, a brand-specific phenomenon? Or, maybe two bouts of the thrice-damned COVID destroyed the “stinky brush” aspect of my olfactory sense. I still smell my dogs when they are wet, though…

I shampoo (Prell) my brushes occasionally, no regular schedule, just when it looks like the bristles are starting to clump. I then brush them with the dogs’ undercoat rake. I’ve never used vinegar, baking soda solution, or any of the other oft-mentioned procedures. Having said that, my two Simpsons are fairly new; I plan to be more fastidious with them, given their price.

This is really reviving a dead thread, wow!
I didn’t check the dates. I’m relatively new to this site, but, the threads I’ve replied to came up on my forum search. Don’t know why since they’re so old.

Don’t worry about it. There’s no shame in reviving old threads, despite the teasing you WILL might receive.

FTFY...
weereerfrc.jpg

Top Bottom