What's new

Electricity Costs

The average KWH rate in the TVA service area is .0385cents/KWH. It does flucuate with fuel cost once the source fuel reaches a certain price.

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
Just curious how much do you pay per KWH?
I am getting it at .081 per KWH for 6 months fixed rate.

Just remember this- at that rate, if you leave a 100W bulb on for a year straight, it will run you 70 bucks. :w00t:

My records only go back to 2008, and they include Florida taxes:

2011 - 0.1340 (ytd Ave.)
2010 - 0.1411 (yearly ave.)
2009 - 0.1324 " "
2008 - 0.1254 " "

Wow! - it never ceases to amaze me how cheap energy is in the United States. Depending on the plan chosen, we pay the equivalent of around 16 - 19 cents per kWh with a connection fee of around $25 per month on top of that (including taxes). About the only thing that makes me feel better about this is that around 75% of all electricity generated is from renewable sources (hydro, wind and geo-thermal).

Wow! - it never ceases to amaze me how cheap energy is in the United States. Depending on the plan chosen, we pay the equivalent of around 16 - 19 cents per kWh with a connection fee of around $25 per month on top of that (including taxes). About the only thing that makes me feel better about this is that around 75% of all electricity generated is from renewable sources (hydro, wind and geo-thermal).

In the US, we are burning coal to make electricity. The true costs are hidden. The tax breaks (subsidies) are not obvious. The costs of medical care for asthma and other effects of mercury in the atmosphere are not factored into the per-kW costs. We are also destroying the Appalachian mountains to get this coal. We used to have regulations requiring coal-mining operations to restore the mountains they exploded, but the Bush regime removed that inconvenient cost for the coal producers.

You would need an army of accountants to find out the actual cost of electricity in the USA.

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
That's why I always say that behind every electric car is a smokestack.

On a related note, Gillette is working on the first nuclear powered cartridge razor.

In the US, we are burning coal to make electricity. The true costs are hidden. The tax breaks (subsidies) are not obvious. The costs of medical care for asthma and other effects of mercury in the atmosphere are not factored into the per-kW costs. We are also destroying the Appalachian mountains to get this coal. We used to have regulations requiring coal-mining operations to restore the mountains they exploded, but the Bush regime removed that inconvenient cost for the coal producers.

You would need an army of accountants to find out the actual cost of electricity in the USA.

You are correct. Coal accounts for the vast majority of our electrical energy production. Nuclear is about 30% or so. There is a rebirth of the nuclear energy industry that is occurring with new plants being planned or on order. In 15 years the nuclear piece of the energy pie will be about 50%. Cheaper and cleaner than coal but still not perfect. There is no free lunch as long as we consume the way we do.

Top Bottom