What's new

First DE shave. Horrible.

Ok I just had a run-through with my edwin jagger 89 loaded with derby blades and it was horrible, I felt like a lost puppy. Any tips?

Last edited:
what happened bro? Can you get into the specifics of what was so horrible about it? Get a bad case of razor burn from it? Or was the quality of the shave really poor? Any details?

What kind of shave prep did you do? Cream or soap? How was your lather? What kind of blade? Etc etc. Details, man, details! We can't help you with just "horrible". :blink::blink:

I showered while my brush soaked, lathered some AOS lavender with some glycerin, my blades are derbys, and my post shave was witch hazel followed by Nivea sensitive AS balm.

This sounds like you used too much pressure. Unlike cartridges, you should not use any pressure with a DE blade.

BTW, this is what happened to me with my first DE shave all those years ago.

Hope this helps.

Thanks,
Mike

I had weepers all over my neck, I had random nicks, my face feels like it's on fire.

Use NO PRESSURE on the razor. Very short, SLOW strokes.

You are not going to get a perfect shave in 5 minutes the first time out of the gate....or likely even a month out of the gate. This is a skill that takes time to learn.

-1 on the Derby......

Sounds like bad lather & poor technique. Probably resulted from rushing through the shave? Just guessing, based upon your quick, rushing posts......Take your time and SLOW down, your new to this. Shave only when you have enough time to do it right, so you can learn correctly, dont just rush through the process, and then be left to wonder what went wrong....You got solid tools, hell, its my exact hardware set up, Derbys, or Bic blades. LIGHT TOUCH, and PATIENCE is key.

But on the flip note, try replacing the derby with another blade, even if it is with another derby, every manufacturer puts out a bumb blade every now and again.

Good luck to you and welcome to B&B. :biggrin1:

Last edited:
Don't give up. I tore up my neck on the first shave thanks too much pressure, incorrect angle and sharp blades (Russian Gillette 7 O'clock). It took me awhile to find the appropriate pressure and angle since my hair grows in many directions on the neck.

I showered while my brush soaked, lathered some AOS lavender with some glycerin, my blades are derbys, and my post shave was witch hazel followed by Nivea sensitive AS balm.

How did I know? :001_smile

I don't like Derby, one of the few blades I just never had good luck with.

If you have other blades I'd try them.

Keep at it. Try a bunch of different blades and razors. Eventually you will acquire a bunch of brushes and then you'll go to the next level - Straight Razors!:thumbup:

YIkes!

Well, it can only get better from this shave!

Your prep sounds OK. It may be blade angle and pressure. My suggestion is to try one WTG and one XTG on your cheeks first ... see what you might learn about that. Be extra gentle with your neck and the mustache area, these are tricky to shave.

Also, try a lathering session or two before your next shave. The lather can look fine to a newbie, but still not have enough water to lubricate the skin well, or too much water.

Let us know how it goes with your next shave!

-1 on the Derby......

Agreed. I use Derby w/ no problems. Just take your time. I just strted last weekend and have a spot on my neck that is horrible to shave. Maybe look at instituting some other items to your pre and post shave, i.e. shave oil, alum block and WH, YMMV.

-1 on the Derby......

Sounds like bad lather & poor technique. Probably resulted from rushing through the shave? Just guessing, based upon your quick, rushing posts......Take your time and SLOW down, your new to this. Shave only when you have enough time to do it right, so you can learn correctly, dont just rush through the process, and then be left to wonder what went wrong....You got solid tools, hell, its my exact hardware set up, Derbys, or Bic blades. LIGHT TOUCH, and PATIENCE is key.

But on the flip note, try replacing the derby with another blade, even if it is with another derby, every manufacturer puts out a bumb blade every now and again.

Good luck to you and welcome to B&B. :biggrin1:
Actually my lather was amazing, and I took about 15 min to shave.

Yeah, keep practicing. Your first dozen or so shaves are SUPPOSED to be bad, but it'll get better over time as you work on developing the new skills.

+1
Everyone has a rough start. There is lots of information out there and very knowledgable gents here. As you gain experience, you will find what works for you. DON'T GIVE UP!!

If you've been watching the shaving videos by guys like Geofatboy (Shave Nation) or Mantic59 remember that they're going pretty fast because they've nailed not only the technique but the pressure (or LACK OF IT) required to do the job right.

It's not beard removal. It's whisker reduction.

I suspect that your razor is too aggressive for a newbie. My fist DE shave was really good, but just dumb luck on my part. I found a vintage Gillette Tech at a garage sale for 50 cents and didn't cut myself at all. Watch Mantic's videos to make sure you understand about not bearing down at all and try to use less of an angle as you would use on modern plastic razors. Get yourself a good cheap Gillette Tech or a blue-tip superspeed off the BST and use it until you're good at it and then go back to your EJ89. I truly think that was your problem.

Top Bottom