What's new

Gem Junior Day Two

I gave the Gem Junior another try today. This time after the hot towel I applied a bit of EVOO. Then lathered with Mama Bears citrus basil, a good choice with the EVOO.

I shaved using the Gem and yesterday's blade. Another good shave. As someone took exception to the old man stank I used yesterday, today I finished off with a splash of Bay Rum, another favorite of the aged ones.

I guess it's time to order up some more blades. I see you can get ten from American Safety for $4.49 free shipping.

Time to shop for a micromatic with the Guiding Eye.

The Italian gal down the block gave me a wink. I better go easy on the EVOO and basil combo:biggrin1:

Last edited:
Congrats. After many, many years of DE shaving I am using a Gem Micromatic open comb tomorrow morning for my first SE shave.:001_smile

After getting back into classic style shaving after 20 yrs.I have settled on my Gem Jr. as my daily shaver. It has beat out my superspeeds, gillete news,and adjustablesfor the number 1 spot .I have gem mm clog pruf and mm open comb waiting, but Im sticking with the Jr for now.Great shaver

Make that after day 3. I suppose I could pay my barber $20 and get a slightly better shave, but I doubt it.

The Gem Junior was really "talking" to me today. It makes quite a racket when it's at it's best.

Shave 4. Another great shave. I can NOT believe I may well have never tried out this razor. It's looks make you think it's something out of the past and should be melted down. It's scary looking.

I did toss the blade after this 4th shave.

Broke out my Star Jr, at least that's what I call it. It's a Star that looks identical to the Gem Jr.

I experimented with Williams and the CVS brush. It's serviceable but nothing like what I'm used to. Its thin and i hough it dried rapidly. I'm used to a crazy thick and rich Mama Bears soap and a silver tip brush that holds enough lather for 3 passes.

The best part was I got shave seven from my Gem blade. Crazy. I never get more than four shaves from a DE blade. I admit, I have hand stropped the Gem blade.

Another DFS

Last edited:
Broke out my Star Jr, at least that's what I call it. It's a Star that looks identical to the Gem Jr.

I experimented with Williams and the CVS brush. It's serviceable but nothing like what I'm used to. Its thin and i hough it dried rapidly. I'm used to a crazy thick and rich Mama Bears soap and a silver tip brush that holds enough lather for 3 passes.

The best part was I got shave seven from my Gem blade. Crazy. I never get more than four shaves from a DE blade. I admit, I have hand stripped the Gem blade.

Another DFS

Yes, I get 8 out of a coated Gem blade :thumbup1:

I guess it's time to order up some more blades. I see you can get ten from American Safety for $4.49 free shipping.

Thanks for mentioning the blades from American Safety with free shipping.

I have two Gems on the way next week, and had been wondering where I could get SE blades. The only SE blades I have seen locally have been for tools rather than for shaving; apparently the blades for tool are not good for shaving, at least that's what I've seen in other threads.

This is the link I found: http://www.personna.com/personna/blades/shaving/detail/gem-single-edge-blades-10-pack/

I assume that is the same one you were using?

They also have cheap Persona DE blades, but they have somewhat mixed reviews here on the forum.

I have two Gems on the way next week, and had been wondering where I could get SE blades. The only SE blades I have seen locally have been for tools rather than for shaving; apparently the blades for tool are not good for shaving, at least that's what I've seen in other threads.

This is the link I found: http://www.personna.com/personna/blades/shaving/detail/gem-single-edge-blades-10-pack/

I assume that is the same one you were using?

They also have cheap Persona DE blades, but they have somewhat mixed reviews here on the forum.

Yep, that's the link. You can get them at Walmart, Walgreens and CVS too. Assuming you have those around you.

Top Bottom