What's new

Taylors Sandalwood

Hey guys, I'm just curious to hear whatever you might have to say about Taylors Sandalwood cream. I'll be ordering 4 brushes and 4 tubs of St. James for my groomsmen, so I figured it was the perfect opportunity to slip one past the goalie--eh, fiancee, and throw a Sandalwood into the order as well...you know, to offset shipping and all. :wink:

Thanks!

Its OK...not my favorite Taylor Cream...or Sandlewood for that matter. Provides a fantastic shave though...as do all Taylor Creams. Scent is a very subjective thing...so as they say YMMV. Others will chime in shortly I am sure.

Its OK...not my favorite Taylor Cream...or Sandlewood for that matter. Provides a fantastic shave though...as do all Taylor Creams. Scent is a very subjective thing...so as they say YMMV. Others will chime in shortly I am sure.

Absolutely Bob, scent is definitely very subjective thing. I've heard that the Taylors sandalwood is more or less a loose interpretation of sandalwood, so I'm curious to try it.

...and in true enabler fashion, it was through your generosity in sending me that plethora of samples that I discovered my incessant need for sandalwood...so if and when my fiancee discovers this little add on, I'll just say it was your fault. :biggrin:

Absolutely Bob, scent is definitely very subjective thing. I've heard that the Taylors sandalwood is more or less a loose interpretation of sandalwood, so I'm curious to try it.

...and in true enabler fashion, it was through your generosity in sending me that plethora of samples that I discovered my incessant need for sandalwood...so if and when my fiancee discovers this little add on, I'll just say it was your fault. :biggrin:

Thats a good point...Sandlewoods are so varied. I don't want people to think I am bagging on Taylor's version, a lot of people really like it. I do as well...just not as much as some others.

No problem using me as a scape goat...my friends have been doing it for years with their significant others. :lol:

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
Hey guys, I'm just curious to hear whatever you might have to say about Taylors Sandalwood cream. I'll be ordering 4 brushes and 4 tubs of St. James for my groomsmen, so I figured it was the perfect opportunity to slip one past the goalie--eh, fiancee, and throw a Sandalwood into the order as well...you know, to offset shipping and all. :wink:

Thanks!

Makes perfect sense to me. :biggrin:

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member

You have answered your own question!! :biggrin: If you are a sandalwoodaholic, then you can't really go through life without trying the TOBS version. (I have it and really like it, although I'll be the first to admit that it smells like a bunch of things, not just sandalwood.)

The TOBS sandalwood soap was the first wetshaving soap/cream I bought, and I really like the smell. It's sort of a traditional bathroom scent, which some people might associate with an 'old man smell', but don't let that put you off. You gotta try it.

Oh, and BTW, that's a truly great groomsmen gift!!

Thanks for the feedback, guys. I just submitted my order, so any day now, hehe.

Yeah, I knew before ordering that it wasn't a true to form sandalwood, but more often than not and definitely for better or worse, curiosity gets the best of me. I now have tried Salter, AOS, and Vulfix sandalwood, so I felt compelled to throw a Taylor's in with my order...the avocado was calling out to me too, but...hehe, I don't want to hear it about how, "You were supposed to be buying groomsmen gifts, not gifts for yourself!" ...but I don't need to tell you guys that.

What! You still haven't tried the big boys of C&E and Trumpers? And no Coate's or T&H either....Pfft.

And you call yourself a sandalwood man! :tongue:

My Taylor Sandalwood arrived on Monday and I had my first shave with it last night. My initial impressions were good, but it definately uses the term sandalwood loosely. With that said, I still really enjoy the scent and see this as being something I will continue to replace as needed.

The best part, though, was that several hours later when I went to bed, my fiancee asked what I had used. I responded with a cautious, "Why...?" I figured the jig was up and she was onto my little scheme, but instead she just commented on how much she really liked it!

...too bad I can't get Speick to elicit that same response from her.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
as John Lennon said, "whatever gets you through the night, is alright!" :lol:

I now have tried Salter, AOS, and Vulfix sandalwood, so I felt compelled to throw a Taylor's in with my order...

I'm a budding Sandalwood freak as well (just bought a tub of Green Pond's Sandalwood cream, based on bernard66's comments on it over at SMF) and the Salter and Vulfix are both ones I still have yet to try. Any thoughts or feedback on them?

I'm a budding Sandalwood freak as well (just bought a tub of Green Pond's Sandalwood cream, based on bernard66's comments on it over at SMF) and the Salter and Vulfix are both ones I still have yet to try. Any thoughts or feedback on them?

Absolutely-

I think both the Salter and Vulfix are more accurate representations of sandalwood than the Taylors, and to take that a step further, the Salter is probably the closest of the three. I'm using the AOS sandalwood as the yardstick here since AOS is fragranced by essential oil.

If you trying to choose between the Salter and the Vulfix, it comes down to your preference. Sweet or dry? The Vulfix sandalwood is very sweet and spicy...like a gingerbread cookie with all that molasses, all-spice, and cinnamon. I only have a sample of the Vulfix and Salter, but I'll be getting both as money permits. The Salter, then of course, is drier in the sense that it's woody and spicy.

Then of course there's the AOS sandalwood. IMO, very similar to the Salter in terms of scent, but it's a no-nonsense, one note tune, whereas the Salter is more of a chord with other subtle notes of fragrance.

Hope all my analogies didn't confuse you too much. :whistling: And good luck in choosing just one. :wink:

Absolutely-

I think both the Salter and Vulfix are more accurate representations of sandalwood than the Taylors, and to take that a step further, the Salter is probably the closest of the three. I'm using the AOS sandalwood as the yardstick here since AOS is fragranced by essential oil.

If you trying to choose between the Salter and the Vulfix, it comes down to your preference. Sweet or dry? The Vulfix sandalwood is very sweet and spicy...like a gingerbread cookie with all that molasses, all-spice, and cinnamon. I only have a sample of the Vulfix and Salter, but I'll be getting both as money permits. The Salter, then of course, is drier in the sense that it's woody and spicy.

Then of course there's the AOS sandalwood. IMO, very similar to the Salter in terms of scent, but it's a no-nonsense, one note tune, whereas the Salter is more of a chord with other subtle notes of fragrance.

Hope all my analogies didn't confuse you too much. :whistling: And good luck in choosing just one. :wink:

Oh, I've already resigned myself to picking up both. :)

I do have the AOS Sandalwood cream, so I know what you're saying.

Thanks!

I've got sandalwood creams from Taylor's, AOS, & Trumpers, and the AOS is my favorite. Never tried the Coates, & I guess I never will:frown: ....I'd like to try the Salter version, but I have been put on shaving cream probation by SWMBO.

However, an anniversary gift package of T&H 1805 cream, cologne, and soap from her eased the trauma of of such a punitive action......:wink:

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member

Have you tried the SCS sandalwood soap? Sorry, don't mean to hijack this thread from creams to soaps, but if you like trying sandalwoods, be sure to give the SCS a try. I really like it; it's very different from the TOBS, but dry and woody.

Have you tried the SCS sandalwood soap? Sorry, don't mean to hijack this thread from creams to soaps, but if you like trying sandalwoods, be sure to give the SCS a try. I really like it; it's very different from the TOBS, but dry and woody.

I appreciate your turning us on to new sandalwood "opportunities," be it soap or cream. :thumbup:

TOBS sandalwood reminds me a LOT of T&H Trafalgar.

As a bonus, the TOBS sandalwood doesn't make my face itch. Trafalgar is the only cream that has ever done that, and that includes any of the other T&H creams.

Got room for 1 more groomsmen:tongue_sm Those are great gifts! I too think I wanna try that Sandalwood. Good Luck on your upcoming nuptuals

Billy

Top Bottom