What's new

PC builders: Help jog my memory. Are these PSU fans generally intake fans (see pic)?

I'm in the market for a new PSU, but the last case I had was all fancy and had a bottom mounted PSU with an actual hole in the bottom of the case for this fan. My current setup is not the same, and I'm trying to figure out if this fan is an intake fan or an exhaust fan. If it's intake, I'm good. If it's exhaust, I have to shop for something else entirely.

Thanks in advance!

Intake. The only exhaust on a power supply should be to the rear (out of the case).

That's what would seem to make sense. I don't know why I was second guessing myself. I haven't built in 5 years or so, so I guess I forgot even some of the basics. Thanks for your response!

It's an intake but is there in lieu of an exhaust fan so in effect it will do the same job - draw hot air from inside the case through the PSU and force it outside the case... It will not pull cold air into the case.

Last edited:
It's an intake but is there in lieu of an exhaust fan so in effect it will do the same job - draw hot air from inside the case through through PSU and force it outside the case... It will not pull cold air into the case.

Right. I get that. Because even if it did draw cool air, it would be for the benefit of the PSU alone since it would never escape its enclosure (aside from exhausting through the perforated backplate).

It's only been 3 years since I built mine and I can't remember most of the basics.

It's very much like that, isn't it? You brush up on everything and build a really nice PC, and then forget it all until you need a new one. Then the cycle repeats. I'm just not immersed enough in the hobby to keep this stuff in my longterm memory.

It's very much like that, isn't it? You brush up on everything and build a really nice PC, and then forget it all until you need a new one. Then the cycle repeats. I'm just not immersed enough in the hobby to keep this stuff in my longterm memory.

Even worse for me since I moved to mac, I only tinker with pc now if my wife pulls the honey this doesn't work card out. I may actually go out and build a PC just for the experience of it now.

Top Bottom