What's new

How popular the Popular

I finally rounded out my set of Populars -- this remarkable OC British made Gillette TTO from the late 1930s. These beauties have charmed me with their classy knurling, the fine Deco cases, and their remarkably effective shaving ability. I discovered that the one I had uncovered a year or so ago is an earlier model (presented originally here), with a different style handle. And the blue case arrived with an incorrect razor, but it is now happily ensconced with its natural intended.

I only wish I had a suitable studio to really present these razors in as beautiful a fashion as they were intended. Since today was warm enough to shoot these photos outdoors with natural lighting -- they're okay. Perhaps later in a studio with proper equipment. For posterity!

proxy.php

Black nickel & rhodium, gold with rhodium, and either nickel or silver are the 3 varieties.

proxy.php

proxy.php

How great are these?

proxy.php

proxy.php

Will post the entire group right below here.

Last edited:
I found another silver (or nickel) plated Popular, plus that unusual one recently identified by Achim as an earlier version of this model (seen on his site. Must have sold for a few shillings less than the later version.

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

This is the model, along with the Richwood, that could capture the market for DE shaving -- if only Gillette (or some entrepreneurial company) could get them replicated and back into production.

Last edited:
Those are amazing razors. Fantastic knurling. I love the two tones. The gold and rhodium is a knock out. And all are open comb. Dang!:w00t:

I am relieved now:turned: These razors are just piece of art and they look better than those British Aristocrats. I love slim handles, ymmv.

Last edited:
that´s very nice, Jack! I´m missing the blue case in my collection :blushing:. The Popular comes 1938 with the old (Senator like) knurling. 1939 the Popular comes with the new (Aristocrat like) knurling:

proxy.php

proxy.php

Top Bottom