What's new

Ky jelly.

Last night I was thinking of ways to make lather slicker, and it hit me ky jelley:tongue_sm. So I picked some up and tried it this morning, WOW slickest lather ever! Just used a little bit by the way.

Just used a little bit by the way.

A teaspoon seems like a ton... and that stuff isn't cheap.

Try just straight glycerin. When I was using it I'd put one or two drops and that seems to work pretty good. Since then I've got good enough at making lather that it's unnecessary to use but if you're having issues I think glycerin would be a far more economical (and less innuendo-prone) than KY Jelly. :lol:

A few years back, I shaved a few times with KY. JUST the KY. When you're in the shower, and your face is nice and prepped, it was great to slick that on my face and shave with it. The first shave was heaven; the 2nd not so much, and I got paranoid about getting KY in any nicks & cuts. So that was that.

I think the innuendo & associations of the product are irrelevant. If it works for you, go for it. The embarrassed giggles don't mean anything if you're getting a better shave. Go with what works! :thumbup1:

Another way to use KY to get a better shave:

Put some on the handle on the outside of the bathroom door and your children can't disturb you.

Last edited:
Glycerin is a main ingredient so maybe I should try straight glycerin? But is glycerin this slick?

I am no expert but I think glycerin needs water to "activate" so that is why products like KY have water in them. If you use straight glycerin then put a few drops in the bowl you soaked your brush in after you dump out the water an just leave that small amount of water that clings to the bowl to "activate" the glycerin. Then just load your brush and lather in the bowl like normal. I think that makes sense...it did in my mind.

OldSaw

The wife's investment
Another way to use KY to get a better shave:

Put some on the handle on the outside of the bathroom door and your children can't disturb you.

Until it dries. A high security Schlage lock set on the bedroom suite works best and also keeps them from "borrowing" your clothes when they become teenagers. Worked for us, anyway.

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
Glycerine is what makes KY slick. I bought some to add a few drops, but never used it. I started putting Proraso on my face, then added VDH per brush, face lathered. Tremendous lather!

OldSaw

The wife's investment
So now I'm wondering if glycerin and water would make a good and cheap substitute for KY? :devil:

Well,... you are from Michigan. Here's a quote from your beloved Yoopers, "Let's play fifteen two, that 4play sounds too hard." :lol:

Last edited:
Top Bottom