What's new

Glycerin Soap?

Is it something that's worth adding to the arsenal? I currently rotate between 2 creams and a puck of D.R. Harris Arlington. I've seen people use a liquid glycerin in conjunction with a soap or cream. Thoughts?

Lord, I hate that term.

+1.

but I think the OP should definitely get a vegetable-based soap and give it a try. I recommend, in no particular order: Benton Clay, The Gentlemen's Quarter, Saint Charles Shave, and Mama Bear. I have and use all of the above in my regular rotation. All very nice soaps. :thumbup1:

Lord, I hate that term.

You and me both.

There is no such thing as a glycerin based soap

In the OP's defense, he did not use the term, he simply said glycerin soap. This of course is a totally different term and is (at least to me) acceptable in refering to soaps that have been reprocessed with sugar, alcohol and added glycerin (i.e. the clear soaps).

True dat. "Glycerin based soap" is a misnomer. Much like "smokey topaz," which isn't topaz at all.

In the OP's defense, he did not use the term, he simply said glycerin soap.
It's wasn't the original post I cited; it was the 2nd post.

This of course is a totally different term and is (at least to me) acceptable in refering to soaps that have been reprocessed with sugar, alcohol and added glycerin (i.e. the clear soaps).
While clear soaps can indeed be made with sugar and alcohol, no added glycerin is necessary (but it can be there). Likewise, you can add extra glycerin to soap to increase its moisturizing properties without it necessarily being transparent. Therefore, glycerin soap (soap with extra glycerin added) is not necessarily clear, and clear soap is not necessarily glycerin soap.

beastoftheeast: like you, I've heard of folks adding a few drops of glycerin to their lather bowl with their cream. Though I've never tried it, I've never heard of anything but positive results.

+1.

but I think the OP should definitely get a vegetable-based soap and give it a try. I recommend, in no particular order: Benton Clay, The Gentlemen's Quarter, Saint Charles Shave, and Mama Bear. I have and use all of the above in my regular rotation. All very nice soaps. :thumbup1:

+1 I also like Honeybee a lot.

Top Bottom