What's new

New Pre-Shave Oil Recipe

I have been using T&H pre-shave oil for quite a long time. It has always worked well for me and the only complaint I have had with this product is the price. $55 for four ounces to me is over priced. However, I have tried a few other brands (AOS, Jack Black) and they don't work for me.

I looked for some recipes over the Internet and decided to blend my own combining various recipes that I found.

My mixture is as follows:
  • .5 part Glycerin
  • 1 part EVOO
  • 2 parts almond oil
  • 2 parts grape seed oil
  • 2 parts jojoba oil
  • .5 part Liquid Vitamin E.

Well,today was the first time to try it. I did my usual preparation: Washed face, used a hot towel for 1 or 2 minutes, splashed hot water to my face, and applied 5 or six drops of the pre-shave oil by gently rubbing into my beard, and lathered up.

The results for me were very good. I may cut down on the EVOO since the mixture was a little thicker than the T&H oil - but far less than AOS or Jack Black.

I got a very smooth, comfortable shave and the amount I spent on all of the oils was half the cost of the T&H product and I have enough oil to make at least 10 bottles equivalent to the size of the T&H bottle.

After I applied WH I put a little of the oil on my face and it acted as a nice moisturizer. I then took my shower and my face felt smooth and irritation free.

Last edited:
Do you suppose you could add any Essential Oils to this to add fragrance?

... of 2 parts Grapeseed oil, 1 part Olive oil and add 2-3 drops of EO ( Lavender or Bergamot Mint) for Fragrance, smells good and doesn't clog my razor like the commercial offerings.

... of 2 parts Grapeseed oil, 1 part Olive oil and add 2-3 drops of EO ( Lavender or Bergamot Mint) for Fragrance, smells good and doesn't clog my razor like the commercial offerings.

Think you could do this with any of the fragrance oils from Body Shop or Bath & Body Works too?

Think you could do this with any of the fragrance oils from Body Shop or Bath & Body Works too?

I don't see why you couldn't, just start with a small amount of the EO or FO of your choice and add to your satisfaction. On my initial experiment I had added too much which caused a tingle/ burn to my face, after severely diluting the blend ( 22drops to a 4oz bottle, I was totally CLUELESS) I had the scent strength I desired, no burn or tingle.

Just mixed a small bottle 40-60 glycerine-Walnut Oil, seems ok, not as greasy as some...I'm trying to make post-shave moisturisers btw; really can't see much of a difference between any blend of oils in any proportion for the purpose of 'pre-shave'.

Just mixed a small bottle 40-60 glycerine-Walnut Oil, seems ok, not as greasy as some...I'm trying to make post-shave moisturisers btw; really can't see much of a difference between any blend of oils in any proportion for the purpose of 'pre-shave'.

I use my homemade pre-shave as an overnight moisturizer and my wife uses it for her dry skin during the Winter months.

My mixture is as follows:
  • .5 part Glycerin
  • 1 part EVOO
  • 2 parts almond oil
  • 2 parts grape seed oil
  • 2 parts jojoba oil
  • .5 part Liquid Vitamin E.
Thanks for this. I tweaked it slightly based on what was available online then:

• 0.5 part EVOO
  • 0.5 part Castor Oil
  • 2.5 parts Grape Seed Oil
  • 2 parts Jojoba Oil
  • 2 drops of Lavender EO
Same consistency as the T&H, not quite the same moisturizing quality, but does the job well at a much lower cost.

The number one aspect of the T&H oil that I'd like to reproduce is the scent. Nice citrusy smell...

Yes, it smells nice. I have tried to read the ingredients on the label - but they are so small I can't read them even with a magnifying glass.

Yes, it smells nice. I have tried to read the ingredients on the label - but they are so small I can't read them even with a magnifying glass.

Woops. Someone just e-mailed me the ingredients. Here is what they are:

Sunflower Seed Oil, Avacado Oil, Meadowfoam Seed Oil, Glyceryl Oleate, Fume Silica, Kukui Seed Oil, Laureth-4, Grapefruit Peel Oil, Tangerine Peel Oil, Aloe Barbadensis Leaf Extract, Cucumber Fruit Extract, Canola Oil, Safflower Seed Oil, Tocopherol​

Woops. Someone just e-mailed me the ingredients [of T&H pre-shave oil]. Here is what they are:

Sunflower Seed Oil, Avacado Oil, Meadowfoam Seed Oil, Glyceryl Oleate, Fume Silica, Kukui Seed Oil, Laureth-4, Grapefruit Peel Oil, Tangerine Peel Oil, Aloe Barbadensis Leaf Extract, Cucumber Fruit Extract, Canola Oil, Safflower Seed Oil, Tocopherol​

My home-brew shave oil has two of those ingredients, and works very well: equal parts of avocado oil, safflower oil, olive oil, and grapeseed oil. I use 4 drops per application.

I just started using plain old baby oil. Works great and you can't get much less expensive.
There has been some discussion in this forum that baby oil should be avoided as it contains mineral oil. If I find those posts again I will post the links here.

currently using:
6oz sweet almond
4oz olive oil
2oz jojoba
eucalyptus oil for scent

I like my preshave thicker. I don't want my skin to absorb it too quick. I want it to soften my beard.

There has been some discussion in this forum that baby oil should be avoided as it contains mineral oil. If I find those posts again I will post the links here.

Thanks, I'd be interested in seeing them to see what the stated issues are since Baby Oil is supposedly safe and has been used for decades on newborns etc.

Last edited:
I just discovered that the Vitamin E oil I was using (Jason Natural
Vitamin E Revitalizing Oil) in my recipe actually contains other ingredients: Almond, Apricot, Avocado and Wheat Germ Oils. I was using the Vitamin E as a preservative but now that I see all the other ingredients this product has I will increase the amount I use.

Thanks, I'd be interested in seeing them to see what the stated issues are since Baby Oil is supposedly save and has been used for decades on newborns etc.
There are quite a few threads if you search. This thread, particularly post #15 and the wiki link in post #18 was very informative to me.

Top Bottom