What's new

Semogue 2000 vs SOC?

I am interested in these brushes and was wondering if anyone owns or has used both of them. If so, do you have any thoughts on how they compare? I am thinking in terms of face lathering & bowl lathering performance, break-in and how much lather they can hold.

They appear fairly similar at a glance, although the 2000 has slightly longer loft and knot diameter. Vintage Scent lists the 2000 as being 'White Premium 90% tops mixed with White Super 70% tops' but there is no information listed for the SOC.

Thank you in advance for your help!

EDIT: In case of any confusion, I am talking about boar brushes here!

Last edited:
The SOC uses a Premium grade of boar only used for that brush. I had one and sold it, it was too soft, big and fat for me. The 2000 will be bigger and fatter, so if big boars aren't what you're after, then there are others that will suit better.

Break in with the SOC was about a month, reports are the 2000 will take at least as long, being denser, I believe.

They will hold plenty of lather, they're big brushes. But a Wee Scot badger will also hold enough for 3 passes, so the size of brush isn't critical. Bigger brushes just hold more lather than you can use.

Interesting. Well i'll 'fess up, I have a 1305 and i'm interested in getting another boar but something a little different, i.e. a bit bigger and maybe denser.

So it seems in terms of size/density they go:

1305, SOC, 2000

But in terms of apparent bristle quality they go:

2000, 1305, SOC

Still undecided...

I've got the 1305, 830, 620, 1470, and having sold the SOC, I've been through all their stock grades.

The 2000 won't be massively firmer or less soft than the 1305. But its size and density may make it far less user friendly; again it really depends whether you're into big brushes or not.

The only significant difference in grades I've noticed is with the Best in the 620 and the Premium. The Best is fairly prickly, like a best badger. But it is also in their shortest lofted brush.

In your situation, I'd suggest the SOC if you want big. If it's not enough, the 2000 has more, and the SOC is popular enough to on sell. Course, they're cheap enough to keep, but I'm not one for hoarding stuff I don't use anymore.

2000 and SOC both start out as great brushes. 2000 starts out huge and gets huger as it breaks in. It also gets a little moppy (for a boar). Not terrible, but bigger and more unwieldy than I like. I sold mine shortly after it got seriously broken in.

SOC is a size down and so far hasn't given over to feeling moppy.

Both have nice hair.

I have both the 2000 and the SOC. The SOC is a denser brush that took longer to break in. Being denser, I find it a better face lathering brush. The 2000 doesn't have the density and feels softer. Once broken in, it blooms like a big old badger when it drys. It's a great bowl latherer for me. Being larger, they arn't as scrubby as many of the other Semogues are. Both will make and hold enough lather to shave all day. I really enjoy both of them, using the 2000 and the SOC each at least once a week and having just ordered the new SOC with the Cherry Wood handle.

I've got the 1305, 830, 620, 1470, and having sold the SOC, I've been through all their stock grades.

The 2000 won't be massively firmer or less soft than the 1305. But its size and density may make it far less user friendly; again it really depends whether you're into big brushes or not.

The only significant difference in grades I've noticed is with the Best in the 620 and the Premium. The Best is fairly prickly, like a best badger. But it is also in their shortest lofted brush.

In your situation, I'd suggest the SOC if you want big. If it's not enough, the 2000 has more, and the SOC is popular enough to on sell. Course, they're cheap enough to keep, but I'm not one for hoarding stuff I don't use anymore.

I don't mean to derail the thread, but could you briefly compare the 1305 to the 1470? I am interested in trying out both, as the 1470 is cheaper and has a shorter loft, but the 1305 has a better grade of hair. What are the differences between the two?

The 1305 is a very soft tipped brush that has plenty of backbone. The only semogue I've tried that has more, is the 620.

The 1470 is a little bit shorter in loft, still soft tipped, but a fair bit softer through the knot.

Both are great in their own way. The 1305 tested my patience with break in, taking over 3 weeks to retain water well. It also 'quilled' up like a paintbrush when soaked, making using creams annoying, as it took a little while to splay out again.

The 1470 took 3-4 shaves to break in - as in dish up plenty of quality lather. A mate thought this one was hard work to break in too. I guess it depends on how practised you are with boars, to some degree.

Sorry to ask more questions, but can I take it that you find the 2000 the better bowl latherer and the SOC the better face latherer?

I think they're both a big big to be ideal as face latherers, but I prefer a small to medium brush for that, plenty do face lather with them.

Top Bottom