What's new

Are these damaskeene 1912's?

I've had these 2 razors for a couple of years along with several other gem 1912's, eveready 1914's, 1924's and some treat 1912's. I have probably 20 all combined not to mention about 10 lather catcher's but that's another story. Any way as I was looking through all of my 1912's today I happened to notice that the flip plates on these 2 razors were very rounded compared to the flat shovel like plates of my other 1912's. Upon my research I have noticed that the only other razors that look like these are the Damaskeene 1912's. The thing that is weird is that neither of these 2 razors say Damaskeene or only use Damaskeene blades on them. The handles also look like the fluted handles on the Damaskeene's, did Gem make any that didn't have it stamped under the flip plate?

Last edited:
I haven't seen those called Damaskeene before, but the head may be the same as the Damaskeene. Sorry, I can't be much help on this, but if nothing else, a bump for you.

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

I haven't seen those called Damaskeene before, but the head may be the same as the Damaskeene. Sorry, I can't be much help on this, but if nothing else, a bump for you.

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

Thanks, that head looks identical to these 2 that I have. Definitely different than my usually flat 1912's.

Here is some more pics of one of the round headed 1912's and one of the bakelite handle normal flat headed 1912. As you can see there is quite a bit of difference.

Here is some more pics of one of the round headed 1912's and one of the bakelite handle normal flat headed 1912. As you can see there is quite a bit of difference.

I agree. That looks like the same head as the Damaskeene. I will have to check my travel Ever Ready. It has a handle that looks a lot like the ones on yours.

I found a pretty good explanation to my question from a different thread by HoosierTrooper quoted below:
"Some of the smaller travel models also have the curved head, I have one. I would GUESS that if ASR had some of the curved heads still in stock when they quit stamping the Damaskeene blade advertisement on the 1912's they probably used them up."

"There really wasn't a model designated as the "Damaskeene" by ASR, it's a nickname given the models that had the Damaskeene blade advertisement on it."

I own a bunch of razors in every type from the Rolls to the Durham Duplex to most of the Gillette models to almost all of the Gem and Eveready models, several Merkurs and the odd Barbasol and now the French DE razor I just bought plus several straight razors. Of all the my razors the 1912's and particularly the rounded head ones have given me one of the closest and most comfortable shaves possible. My lather catchers are the only other razors that shave comparable and they actually evolved into the Gem 1912.:thumbup:

I think what you have are GEM Minutemen (Minutemans? You get the idea!)

The shave I get from those is second only to the one I get from an Open Comb Micromatic.

The shave I get from those is second only to the one I get from an Open Comb Micromatic.

Craig I agree on the first part, but you have the second part mixed up: should be that the shave from the MMOC is second only to that of the Minuteman (with the curved head) :tongue_sm:laugh:

Bingo, I have the Ever-Ready minuteman set which comes with the little lather catcher and I just tried these 2 razors and they both fit perfectly. My regular ornate handle 1912's are too big too fit into the handle tube. Thanks:thumbup: So basically the Minuteman and the Damaskeene are the same.:thumbup1:

Last edited:
Here's some pics of me trying it for a fit, the razor to the left is the Ever-Ready little lather catcher that actually goes with the set. The minuteman holder is the same as the ones made for the Gems also.

Last edited:
Craig I agree on the first part, but you have the second part mixed up: should be that the shave from the MMOC is second only to that of the Minuteman (with the curved head) :tongue_sm:laugh:

Don't start that again :laugh:

Bingo, I have the Ever-Ready minuteman set which comes with the little lather catcher and I just tried these 2 razors and they both fit perfectly. My regular ornate handle 1912's are too big too fit into the handle tube. Thanks:thumbup: So basically the Minuteman and the Damaskeene are the same.:thumbup1:

I've never used a Damaskeene, but the Minuteman head does seem very similar. One thing that's different between the 1912 and Minuteman is the size of the connection to the handle. The Minuteman handle can connect to a 1912, but the 1912 handle is too large to connect to the Minuteman. Is this the same for a Damaskeene?

Oh great! Now, I have another razor I need to get.

proxy.php

Guess what folks, I went to the antique store today and scored several excellent GEMs. One of them just happened to be a 1912 Damaskeene, go figure.:tongue_sm Well I'm here to tell you that there is absolutely no difference in the head shape between the Damaskeene and the Minuteman, the only differences in the razors is the handle and the word Damaskeene. So there, I was actually able to answer my own question.:lol::lol::lol:

I actually have two 1912's with the round head besides the Damaskeene, both are travel models and the heads on both are smaller than the Damaskeene.

proxy.php

proxy.php

Top Bottom