What's new

Open-comb vs. safety bar

Another newbie here. Just to say that I have been using an Edwin Jagger De89lbl safety-bar razor for about two weeks and have switched to using a Merkur 11c open-comb for the past two days, and what a difference it makes! I bought the open-comb razor on account of some stubborn hairs on my neck, but what I really love about the open-comb design is that on the second pass, it allows me to shave in a kind of cross-hatching way. Here, my first cross-hatching pass comes in at around forty-five degrees to the vertical axis and removes around half the lather; and then, by approaching at a right-angle to this afterwards, I can pick up the rest of the lather with the second cross-hatching pass. This leaves very few details to touch up afterwards. --Alan

Last edited:
Thanks for the responses guys. The recommendations concerning the "Gillette New" razor have led me to a different avenue of approach, which I have posted under the thread "Fixed-adjustable safety razors." Do check it out, if you are interested in following-up on this. --Alan

Last edited:
I started with the EJ DE87 (faux ivory handle), which of course is a straight-bar razor, but switched to the Mühle R41 open comb. They're about the same on the mild-aggressive continuum, but I prefer the lighter weight and less top-heavy balance of the R41.

Top Bottom