What's new

Omega silvertips good?

I found this on ebay. Seems like a good discount, is this brush any good? I just wanted to see if this is a good deal.

http://www.amazon.com/Omega-Green-S...5-0853449?ie=UTF8&s=hpc&qid=1178831147&sr=8-1

Josh,

There was a bit of a run on the once before when they were on a good sale. Not sure if it was more or less than now.

At any rate, I've not tried one, but the reports were that they were quite good, especially for the price, if you like a really super silky soft brush.

-Mo

Yes
We cleaned out the store when DJ found them for... I think<50.00 they have raised the price since then a few bucks. I have since sold mine, I am a soap guy and this brush was a little to lofty and a little too big for me.

Well made and a good value, but for the money a Seville Row from QED would be my first choice.
Good luck-

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
I'm not a brush guy, so don't listen to me, but I couldn't be happier with my 6215. It was cheaper, prettier, and much more luxurious than my SR208.

Yes
We cleaned out the store when DJ found them for... I think<50.00 they have raised the price since then a few bucks. I have since sold mine, I am a soap guy and this brush was a little to lofty and a little too big for me.

Well made and a good value, but for the money a Seville Row from QED would be my first choice.
Good luck-

Not commenting on this brush, but I agree that larger, lofty brushes aren't the best "all-rounder" brushes (IMHO).

The Saville Row brushes are great (I have a 22 mm knot) I also really like my Rooney #1 - I have a large, but the small one (22mm) in silvertip is only about $65 at classic shaving $75 for the super silvertip at either classic or vintage blades would be a great all-rounder (the large has a 26mm knot which makes lathering soaps that come in the bowls a real mess!).

Not knocking the Omega - just that you need to think about what you're using the brush for and how many brushes you have when considering whether it makes sense to purchase a particular brush.

Josh,

There was a bit of a run on the once before when they were on a good sale. Not sure if it was more or less than now.

At any rate, I've not tried one, but the reports were that they were quite good, especially for the price, if you like a really super silky soft brush.

-Mo

I got one of the 6212's, the cousin to the brush referenced in the link. IMO, it is a terrific brush, and for the price is an unbeatable value. Silky soft describes it, and is a lathering monster with soaps or creams.

I'm not a brush guy, so don't listen to me, but I couldn't be happier with my 6215. It was cheaper, prettier, and much more luxurious than my SR208.

+1

Recommended.

edit: The 6215 and 6212 are the same brush --just a different handle.

-- John Gehman

I actually wanted one of those Omega silvertips but I missed the sale from last fall. They're still at a very good price but I can't get over paying more than what everyone else paid.

I've got a 6212 and it is THE softest brush I own.
Problem is it is very big and it has little or no backbone.
If you are looking for a luxurious shave and you lather in a bowl
this will not disappoint.
If you want to build lather on your face ....well
this may not be the right choice for ya.

I had a Peachy which was very luxurious and soft. Lathered great both soaps and creams. At least some soft brushes can lather hard soaps very well, imo - at least this and Rooney Super Med did

Can't compare to SR as I don't have one.

I purchased this brush in early March, my first quality brush. Using it in rotation with a muhle-pinsel I bought later, it handles both cream and soap well [I've become a big fan of soaps]. This is a relatively large brush, almost but not quite too large for my taste. It also suffers from hair loss, losing a couple of hairs almost every time I use it. Having said that, I called the vendor Perfect beauty recently and explained the hair loss and they were quick to offer a replacement. If you get one that holds its hair and you want a larger brush, I think this is good brush for the money.

I have one of these and many other brushes. This is one of my favorite. It is a very good brush and the price is excellent.
:thumbup:

I got one of the 6212's, the cousin to the brush referenced in the link. IMO, it is a terrific brush, and for the price is an unbeatable value. Silky soft describes it, and is a lathering monster with soaps or creams.

+1

Recommended.

-- John Gehman

+1 on silky soft and lathering monster.

I only have pure badgers to compare to, and I do lather in a bowl to the extent that matters; but, I have to agree it is a lathering MONSTER. The other day I used Proraso cream and accidentally added what I thought was too much water (bubbles, bubbles everywhere). Not a problem for this brush, though; I decided to see what would happen if I just kept trying to build the lather without adding anymore cream or wather. Using the same amount of cream as usual--and I kid you not--I filled 2/3 of a 5" diameter, 3" deep bowl with incredibly thick, creamy lather in well under 2 minutes. It was unreal. It's also really, really soft.

As always, YMMV, and please note my sample of brushes isn't large; but, for the money (note it's $130 elsewhere on the web), it's a great value play.

(As an aside, as I learned afterwards, it comes highly recommended by Leisureguy on his blog...)

+1

Recommended.

-- John Gehman

+2

I've just received what I think could be a 6211 as a birthday present. Tried a quick sweep on my face and it seems soft but not floppy (actually it has some spine when dry)

Is it a silvertip or what?

(Sorry for my ignorance I'm just a newb :rolleyes:)

Yes, that's a silvertip. I have a 6212 and it looks identical to your photo. You're going to really like that brush. It has good stiffness and body, yet is as soft as a summer breeze. Very lush feeling when lathering. :001_wub:

Enjoy.

-- John Gehman

Hmmmm I feel my mouth watering... :w00t:

Should I do something special before I start using it? This is my very first new brush...

Should I do something special before I start using it?

No, you don't have to do anything.

Mine didn't have any 'badger smell', and blossomed slightly during the first week and became very soft feeling. The brush still retained good stiffness. My Omega lost 2~3 hairs per shave for the first month, then settled down. I still lose a couple of hairs per month, but don't feel that it's an issue.

-- John Gehman

a little wash with shampo or borax to clean it

Hope it does not smell like rat, like mine the first time i was using it

Top Bottom