What's new

XBOX 360 4gb vs. 250gb

I am looking into buying a xbox 360. The question is should I get the 4gb or the 250 gb. We will only use it for gaming. We don't care about downloading movies or music with it, but I do want to use "xbox live" for gaming.

Is it worth the extra $100 or should I buy some more shave gear with the savings?

Ryan

Get the 250 gb. I have it. I download movies but mainly game demos and map packs. If you're gonna be using Live then I'm guessing you're going to be playing shooters. And you'll want the extra room to download map packs and stuff. It's worth the extra money. Trust me.

I dunno if its absolutely necessary. I do have a 250 gb hard drive on mine and it is about half full with game demos, maps, and save files but those can be deleted when I'm done with the game. I would say get it if you can afford it, if not I wouldn't loose sleep over it.

One thing to consider is the "save to HD" option which can make some games run more smoothly. (They are usually optimized to run off the DVD anyway, so YMMV.) But you would need a bigger hard drive to be able to take advantage of that.

Secondly, even if you don't anticipate dl'ing movies and music to the 360, add-ons and other downloadable content can take up a surprising amount of space in the long run. Saved games are trivial in size but those map packs and game expansions can run quite big.

I have a 12 GB drive on my older 360 and I accordingly have to be quite frugal with the available space.

You may be able to save ~$25 by purchasing the HD separately. Only you can decide if that extra $100 is worth it to you.

if you start getting DLC (downloadable content), a lot of games offer new content this way, you will need the drive space over the long term. i never had one last long enough for that to matter though :lol:.

There are more and more entirely downloadable full games.
Depending on your broadband connection, if this is a feasable option, the more HDD space you have the better.

Guarantee you'll run out of space on the 4 GB model. I've had a Sh!tbox 360 since 2005 and have the original 20 GB drive and went over the 4 GB level years ago. Now with all the downloadable content (games, movies, etc.) it'll only happen faster.

Unless you don't plan to take advantage of the online part of the SH!tbox 360, which is the best part IMHO, you will need additional storage.

Or I forgot I that the new update allows you to save content on usb flash drives. IF you have any spare 16 gb or 32 gb flash drives laying around that could help. The flash drives have to get formatted just for the xbox though.......but Sandisk has some that are already formatted and ready to go:

Sandisk 8 gb and 16 gb flash drive for Xbox 360

But I would just try and find a cheap flash drive and format it using the xbox.

Thanks everyone. I think I am going to buy the 250gb. I'm sure as soon as I will buy it they will come up with a new console.

I've had an XBox for several years now, and went over the 4GB HD mark a LOOOONG time ago. You're just plain better off with the 250gb model to be completely honest (I used to work for GameStop, and would NEVER recommend the 4GB model unless they weren't going to play online). That 250GB will let you save as many games to the HD as possible which will save a bit of wear and tear on your disc drive because once a gave is saved to the HD it only checks to see if the game disc is in the drive before you can play. Plus you can have all the DLC your heart desires :001_smile.

Kind of off topic, but if you don't already have one get yourself a NetFlix membership. It's the best couple bucks a month I spend for my entertainment and it's always nice to fire up a movie or something when whatever game I'm currently playing starts to frustrate me :laugh:.

Happy gaming!

Isaac

B&B Tease-in-Residence
i just upgraded to the 250gb on Thursday. I believe i was having graphix card problems on my old xbox after owning it for 5 years. Ring of death...etc. I can tell you...i "casually" game and play xbox live. I did a transfter from the old to the new and had over 7gb of content from map packs and a few arcade downloads on the old.

I would definitely go with the 250gb.

Top Bottom