What's new

Shave Bowls

Currently I have a shave brush and Omega soap in the soap container. Usually, I soak the brush in hot hot water and then swirl it around in the soap/container. Is this a good method? Should I get a separate bowl instead? Any advice would be great. Thanks.

If you don't have a separate lathering bowl then the general idea would be to load soap onto the brush then lather it directly on the face aka "facerbation"

I normally face lather during the week. Having a separate bowl to lather is not required, but it is nice for a change of pace.

Currently I have a shave brush and Omega soap in the soap container. Usually, I soak the brush in hot hot water and then swirl it around in the soap/container. Is this a good method? Should I get a separate bowl instead? Any advice would be great. Thanks.

I much rather bowl lather than face lather. Bowl lathering becomes an experiment in achieving the optimal lather. I found a rather nice stone bowl down at the salvation army for less than four bucks. Theres probably a few different bowls in your home right now that would work just fine.

Youve got the right idea on soaking the brush, I also let water stand on my soap for the same amount of time. After you knock most of the water out of your brush and drain the water off of your soap, give the brush a handful of plunge and twists in the soap and maybe a swirl or two for good measure. Than start to whip up a lather in your bowl adding drops of water from your fingers until you have a nice consistence. This has worked fairly well for me, and I will say that every time I have gone through the process is has always varied slightly with good results. A little less water, a little more water, load the brush a little more or less, let the brush and soap soak for three minutes or ten minutes.

If you don't have a separate lathering bowl then the general idea would be to load soap onto the brush then lather it directly on the face aka "facerbation"

Sorry to have to correct, but what you describe is face lathering, not "faceturbation." The latter is defined as follows:

Faceturbate
Rubbing one's face (excessively), usually after shaving.

in the Shavewiki Glossary. Here is the link:

http://wiki.badgerandblade.com/index.php/Glossary

I have been known to do both.

I use various bowls for lathering bowls. I had been happy with a large cappuccino cup for a couple of months, and just got a scuttle from Robert Becker that I enjoy.

A soup sized bowl worked best for me, rather than a large coffee cup. I like the bowl wider than deep, and when I used a soup bowl I kept it in a sink of hot tap water while shaving.

I like bowl lathering because I can see exactly what is going on with the lather, and sometimes can build copious amounts. Fun!

I like the feeling of the fresh HOT water and lather being built on the face personally....no bowl needed, but to each their own!! Im a born face latherer I guess! :001_cool:

With both Williams (which I have dropped into a tupperware mug it fits neatly into), and a puck that came in a wooden bowl - I lather directly on top of the soap. It works fine, I don't have a vanity (aka sink) so the less acrouments the better for me.

I soak my brush and while I'm doing that I've got the soap just covered with equally hot water. When I'm ready I drain all the water from both brush and soap, build the lather on the soap, and my brush rests in a scuttle between passes.

It works for me, to be fair my lather with the Williams could be less runny (it is a bit frothy and gutless), but I get a good result. Which is what it's all about in the end.

Enjoy your shaving, don't cut yourself (too bad). The rest is just details.

A thick, heavy mug will work better than a bowl. First, you've something to hang onto. Second, it will hold heat better. If warm lather is something you like, try a scuttle.

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
You can build your lather on top of the soap (use a lot of product), face lathering or bowl lathering (in a different bowl). Some hand lather too (using their hand as a bowl).

You can build your lather on top of the soap (use a lot of product), face lathering or bowl lathering (in a different bowl). Some hand lather too (using their hand as a bowl).

+1. So choose whichever method you like. And welcome to B&B.

Top Bottom