What's new

DE Finds @ Flea Market

So what do I have here for a whopping price of $8....each one was $4.

The shiny one says Gillette and I think the crudded one says Gillette and is adjustable.

Brad

They're both Gillettes, the top one is a "Slim Adjustable",
and the bottom one is a Flair-tip "Superspeed".

They're both Gillettes, the top one is a "Slim Adjustable",
and the bottom one is a Flair-tip "Superspeed".

Just to add on, the flair tip is form the 1960's as there are no rings around the tip. Check to see the date code on both the razors. It should be a number and a letter, such as G1, A4, B3... etc.

I find my G1 flair tip (1961) to be too mild for me. Many believe the 1950's were the golden age for superspeeds. Great snag, though. Some clean up and both will be amazing shavers !

The adjustable is going to take some work. Should the dial work pretty smoothly? Might be a lot of soda scum in the dial area.

Very cool - the SuperSpeed looks to be in really good condition! :thumbup1:

If you can get the Slim cleaned up, that's an absolute steal you got there.

Try some how water soaks to see if that works the soap scum loose. Don't force the mechanism. Have patience. Then make them look pretty with scrubbing bubbles.

So what do I have here for a whopping price of $8....each one was $4.

The shiny one says Gillette and I think the crudded one says Gillette and is adjustable.

Brad
Flaretip Super Speed and a Slim Adjustable.

Both ar every good razors. I LOVE my Flaretip.

...how should the adjustable mechanism work?

1 is mild, 9 is aggressive, 4-5 is about medium. The adjuster ring at the top, near the head, should twist and "click" at each number. Sometimes these things can be gunky on the inside and the ring may not turn freely. Lots of long soaking should do the job, if it's stuck or not moving between 1 and 9.
Enjoy!
-- Chet

Okay thanks. It has been soaking off and on throughout the day. Still no movement.

Any tricks to cleaning?

So the slim adjustable is still not operating. Been soaking all day. Any thoughts from the experts?

S

Sydney Guy

1 is mild, 9 is aggressive, 4-5 is about medium. The adjuster ring at the top, near the head, should twist and "click" at each number. Sometimes these things can be gunky on the inside and the ring may not turn freely. Lots of long soaking should do the job, if it's stuck or not moving between 1 and 9.
Enjoy!
-- Chet

Make sure you open the doors before turning the adjustment ring to avoid damaging the mechanism. Also after you've inserted a blade and closed the doors all the way, the adjustables require an extra 1/4 turn of the TTO knob to secure the doors. Otherwise it can loosen midshave and transform into a super-aggressive razor .... much blood.

Top Bottom