What's new

Different EverReady design

I bought a GEM 1912 and EverReady 1914 off Ebay. They were identical except for the etched names. So, I bought another EverReady with a different handle to distinguish them. I noticed the head of this new EverReady was rounded, but I was surprised to see it opened "backwards." Instead of flipping up from the back, it latches in the back and pivots open at the front. Anyone have any details on the different designs?

Thanks

The photos are really too small to see much, but the "backwards" one would be the Ever-Ready 1924. Maybe a bit more aggressive than the 1912 or 1914 models. Just another good SE design, but I prefer the 1912.

Sorry, I shrunk them too much. (Still working on the best way to resize pix)

Also, forgot to mention, the order is: GEM 1912, EverReady 1914, and (apparently) EverReady 1914

from what i can tell, you've got 2 1912's and a 1924.
and, quite the contrary of silvovitz, i prefer the shave i get from the 1924.

Both the 1912 and 1924 give outstanding shaves, and at least one should be in everyone's rotation!!

I prefer the 1912, but that is probably due to the balance "feel" in my hand, and not because of the razor hinging on the front rather than the back. The blade gap and exposure geometry are similar . . . just a matter of which balance works best for you. IMHO, they're both good, but I am partial to my 1912 Junior.

Congrats on having good, serviceable samples of both designs in your collection. Enjoy! :thumbup1:

Now you need a 1914 ER for the trifecta! All three are great and are just different enough that each one gives a different experience.

Bringing up an old thread here. Found this while searching for info on Everready razors. Found a 1924 this weekend at the antique mall, in good nick, for $5, along with a blister pack of Schick injectors blades for $2. The Everready is in really good condition for its age, with very little plating loss, and some scratches on the top. I'm looking forward to comparing the shave with my Gem Micromatic, as the handle length and balance are very different.

I have been shaving with the ER 1924 for the past two days. It took me two tries to get the balance and angle down. It delivers good shaves. The OCMM is still king of the hill followed by the 1912.

By the way, that 1924 is referred to as the "Shovel Head". A search for shovel in the razor section should net some good info about it.

I have been shaving with the ER 1924 for the past two days. It took me two tries to get the balance and angle down. It delivers good shaves. The OCMM is still king of the hill followed by the 1912.

I need to give it some more tries. My first two shaves with it weren't all that impressive.

I shaved with the ER 1924 yesterday. I had my weekend stubble going, and it shaved beautifully. I've got a 1912 in the mail, and I can't wait to compare!

I enjoy the British Ever-Ready razors. Just seem to be a hair less aggressive than the American ones and gives a very close shave.

The OCMM is a great shaver....maybe a bit too aggressive for some SE newbies. The general opinion on this and the other forum is that the 1912 is the gold standard, hey to each is own and you found what works for you.

Top Bottom