What's new

Newbie checking in, looking for feedback

Hi, my name is Chuck, from Houston, TX, and yesterday was my 3rd attempt at a proper wet shave. My wife got me into this, finding mantic59's YouTube vids for me. My current kit is:

Gillette Mach 3 w/matching cartridges (yeah, I know)
Godrej Lime
Cheap brush from WalMart
LUSH Tea Tree Water
LUSH Prince as AS balm

My 1st shave was after 6 days of not shaving, and it was heaven. Did Kyle's Prep, followed mantic59's instructions (beard reduction, WTG, XTG, XTG the other way, then ATG), tea tree water & Prince as my AS, and WOW! I couldn't believe how good my face felt, and how smooth. That shave lasted 2 days!

My 2nd shave, 3 days later, was not as good. I could feel stubble afterward, and my upper lip & chin felt the sting. The next day, I did a "maintenance" shave in the shower, just getting the worst areas, but I forgot all the lessons and just shaved the way I normally do, and there was definite irritation after.

Two days after that was shave #3. I had my "map" where I could see it, I tried to be deliberate about everything I did. But my 2nd pass (XTG) on my upper lip was INSTANTLY painful; that whole pass caused problems in my tricky spots. And it was only the 3rd shave on that cartridge - I usually get a few more shaves out of a cartridge. I did go ahead and do an ATG pass (I'm still hung up on getting the BBS shave, I know I should take what I can get at this stage), and the result was very smooth. But there were a dozen bloody spots. I did my AS like usual, except I waited a few hours to put on the Prince: I don't like the idea of putting a lotion on open cuts, no matter how "natural" it is.

I know I'm at the bottom of a BIG learning curve, and any advice/shared experience would be appreciated. Currently, I'm planning on putting in a new cartridge for my next shave, which won't be for 3-5 days (I want my face to heal up). I'm also getting some Witch Hazel today, to help with irritation; any suggestions on AS treatments, especially anything to help the face HEAL would be especially welcome.

My wife has indicated that I'll be getting a Merkur Classic long handle for my birthday (along with a full prep, straight razor shave & massage @ Gentlemen's Tonic!), and I'm researching a GOOD shaving brush (mine only paints the lather on, it won't raise a lather on my face). Until then, I'm just trying to burn through the things I've got - I hate to waste anything.

I've also got a bottle of Kiss My Face Lime, and a bar of Van Der Hagen glycerine soap, so I need to experiment with lather - I SUCK at making lather! :blushing:

Even after my rough shave yesterday, a lot of my face feels good, smooth & not irritated. And I know it's going to be months getting this right. I'm REALLY ENJOYING learning all of this, and look forward to participating in the forums. Hopefully I can fill in some blanks about what can be bought in Houston, & where, for any fellow Houstonians here.

(Sorry for the long post - I'm a writer!) :001_rolle

Firstly, welcome to B+B and good luck with your shaving adventures.

As you have already seen, there are a number of components which combine to give a good, close shave. Kyle's Prep (or something similar) is a great starting point and does really help to get your face into the proper condition for a meeting with a blade.
The next step is obviously making lather and applying it to your face. If you are so bad at making lather, I would suggest actually making a few bowls for practice. Your skills will improve and you will be able to recognise a good, slick lather when next you wish to shave. Applying the lather to your face should be a great experience and if your brush is doing the right job, you should be able to work the lather into your face and this will help in raising up your whiskers making them easier to shave.
When it comes to shaving hardware, most of the tips that you read here apply to DE and straight razors and perhaps less to multi-bladed cartridges. By it's very design, a cartridge is attacking your face with 3, 4, 5 (or these days maybe even 8) blades and this in itself can cause irritation. By stretching the skin and cutting/tearing the hair as close as possible, this shaving method does invite problems.
One pass with a DE or a straight OTOH means that the edge has moved over the skin once hence the need for multiple passes and the reduced irritation with these systems.
My point is that whilst learning prep, lathering and after shave care will be positive for your shaving, trying to apply all of the lessons from here to a cartridge shave may not be in your best interests. I would still recommend to prepare and lather as well as you can but maybe cut back on your passes with the cartridge. This trade-off will probably save some irritation at the cost of a little closeness. The other skills will stand you in good stead when you receive your DE razor and you will have jumped a little higher up that learning curve.
FYI- I do my shave prep under the shower (which saves me valuable time in the mornings) and really enjoy a 2-pass shave with a DE each day. It does take a little while to develop the skills but IMHO it is well worth it.
Products such as Witch Hazel and After Shave Lotions/Balms are good for promoting healing and regeneration of your skin. There are many variations and some will appeal to you more than others, but a little time spent reading around the site here and asking a few questions will give you plenty of information.

Last edited:
Welcome to B&B. I found that shaving with a DE forced me to learn proper technique. Before that I would hack away with my Mach 3 and have major razor burn., I never get razor burn now.

The obvious difference is the first say with a new cartridge was good, the other days weren't, so you need a new cartridge every day. It won't be so painful (financially) to use a new blade every shave when you get the DE. Don't be afraid of using one per day. I typically go 2, sometimes less, sometimes more, but can feel the difference by the end of a shave. If a new blade per shave--or even two per shave--is what works, you're still way ahead of the game with DE blades over cartridges.

Not saying this will fix the problem. Just saying.

The Count of Merkur Cristo

B&B's Emperor of Emojis
Chuck:
Welcome to the B & B (beside enrolled in fictional, sacred and utopian Order of Shavedom),...please feel free to come up to the sun deck 'sit-a-spell'.

It sounds like you're off to a great start (glad you converted to DE shaving... cartridges are crap anyway), and yes...this Forum has the knowledge, ideas, and alround 'know-how' to assist in your Wet-Shaving experience. In a nut-shell...your 'gonna' love it here.

It was very wise and 'sage' advice to get a Razor Blade Sampler to see what blade is a good fit (mild, moderate & aggressive, ect...), for your face and Razor. By the way, I happen to like Feathers, Kai's, Treets, Trig and Gillette 7 O'clock just to name a few with my Merkur's 23C & 38C razors.

When you receive your Sampler, my advice is to try 2,3,4 or 5 blades (however which amount per blade brand), before moving on to the next blade.

Also, when I received my Sampler, I started a Thread entitled "In what Order should I test these Sampler Razor Blades?", and the best advice was from member Optometrist a.k.a David who stated;

"I say jump straight in with the feathers. Yes, they are sharp, but you learn very quickly to let the weight of the razor do the work for you. If you can get the feather right, then it's plain sailing with the others. A few nicks and cuts early on are nothing to worry about and stand you in good stead. Start with a lesser blade and it's a continual learning process as you step up the level of sharpness". :yesnod:

Also, member Npsarros stated, "Keep a spreadsheet with every shave [you], have taken, rating each blade as [you], go along". My spread data ratings reads in columns as thus (PM me and I will send you my workable spread sheet example to your e-mail address.);

Razor Blade / Country / Type - Sharpness? (Aggressive [Very Sharp], Moderate Sharpness or Mild Sharpness), - Closeness of Shave? - Smoothness/Roughness of Shave? - Comfort of Shave? - Overall Rating? (awesome, passable or unpleasant), and Compatible with your Razor(s)?

Enclose below is my Thread and member Posted Replies "In what Order should I test these Sampler Razor Blades?", which may be of some interest and help to you.

http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php?t=180210&highlight=order

"Life is a razor [blade], you are always in hot water or a scrape". Anonymous

Below is the B & B Wet Shaving Instructions and Tutorials.

http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php?t=71700

Please don't forget once you get time....please tell all of us about your shave tools / kit and a little about yourself in the Hall of Fame sub-forum.

Christopher
proxy.php

@djh - Thank you! That's great info, I honestly didn't think about the fact that the cart razor was doing that to me.
@Lou - Thanks!
@mattymatt - Thanks, I'm having less razor burn, love the idea that one day I won't have any...
@Steve - I get what you're saying, but what I hadn't said was, #1 was with a used cart, #2 was with a new one, maint & #3 used the same as #2. But #1 was after 6 days of no shaving, I had a good face for it. U R right, I need to use a cart per shave from now on. I'll probably use BIC sensitive disposables for a bit, until I can get my Merkur.
@Count - Thank you, I am liking it here, nice to see a fellow Trek fan! My wife wishes you hadn't mentioned the idea of keeping a spreadsheet - I have an Excel disorder, and OCD, so I'm all over that idea like a frat boy on free pizza. Thanks! :thumbup1:

Hello and best wishes.

Just a couple of quick points to add to the sage advice already offered.

First, remember that irritation takes a few days to fully heal, and it can be cumulative - if there are sore spots, go as easy as you can on them for the next couple of shaves. Otherwise, they can stick around and even get worse over time.

Secondly, on the lather/ brush issue, you may find with what I presume is a cheapo boar brush that it helps to push down on the brush a little more, especially when you start lathering; not loads, just enough to fan the bristles out about as far as they'd be if it was dry, if that makes sense.

Welcome to B&B.

In addition to the above advice some things I think are important.

1. Map the grain on your face so you know which way the grain of your beard grows. You can use http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1168/919589791_d3bf0522a0_o.jpg as a guide. The first pass should be with the grain, whichever direction that is, with subsequent passes across the grain.

2. Take a look at the wikis on this site. The one on lather is particularly helpful and could be just what you need.

3. And here is a good post that will help you on blade angle.

4. The two stumbling blocks many new shavers face is learning the correct blade angle and not putting pressure on the blade. Most new shavers have used cartridges and, as a result, have developed poor shaving habits. However, the one area that cannot be emphasized enough is NO PRESSURE on the blade. Let the weight of the razor do the work for you. To assure this I use two fingers and my thumb to hold the razor with one finger resting on the tip of the handle. This results in holding the razor very lightly with no pressure on the razor. You want to hold the razor as lightly as you can without it falling from your hand.

@davros, thank you. The cumulative irritation is definitely something I have to factor in; I'm going to wait longer between shaves, and maybe take fewer passes in the areas that give me trouble. And yeah, I do get what you mean about the brush, but I feel that's what I've *been* doing; we're going to try for a better brush this weekend.

@Jim, thanks. 1) I've done the map; I just need to learn the right XTG directions, because yesterday's were just not working. 2) Doing that, you are right. 3) Thanks! 4) Very true, unlearning my bad habits is one of my biggest jobs right now. It goes to what @djh said above: trying to use a cart shaver like a DE isn't the best idea. A new razor will force me to learn how *it* works, while I'm also learning a new technique. A lot to learn, but makes it harder to fall back into old ways (I hope).

Welcome. Lots of good advice here!

FWIW, I could only ever get two decent shaves out of cart blades. I would suggest holding off on ATG passes until you get your DE razor. Cart razors generate so much friction that it is hard to shave in that direction without causing a lot of damage to your face.

Welcome!!!!

I would second your idea of using BIC sensitives until you get your DE. IMO the BIC is one of the best disposables and the fact that it is a single fixed blade means you have to use it much like you would a DE.

Welcome to B&B.

I can't really add much more than what the people above me mentioned. But I'll just tell you that it is a really big learning curve, but it is fun no matter what. Even with bad shaves.

And you have a fantastic wife, btw. I hope my future wife is as supportive as yours with this habit. :)

With your lather problem, I would take 1 squirt of the Kiss my face creme in the bowl directly, take your brush and load it with the puck of vdh soap. Mixing them together in the bowl, and make a seriously rich lather! Ive used the exact same combo, (except different scent on the KMF creme) and it worked wonderfully. You should be able to get an excellent lather out of the products you have already. Good luck to you, and welcome aboard!

Top Bottom