What's new

Just bought my first straight!

I have been a member for a little while, and been a lurker of the forums for even longer. I started wet shaving with a DE about 5+ years ago. Until recently, it was just a way to get a decent shave without the irritation that carts gave me. It wasn't until last year that I started taking an interest in getting that BBS shave, and within a month I was starting to think about using a straight. Well, I would find some reason to talk myself out of taking the plunge. I would normally convince myself that it was too much work.

Then recently I discovered the Feather AC. So I thought, now I can try straight shaving without the time investment. So I bought the Feather AC, and have been using it all week. All that did was make me want to try a real straight that much more. Well, after spending more time on reading these forums this week, than I did working. I bought a razor from Larry at WhippedDog. So now I am waiting for my first real straight, and one of his strop kits. Larry was great about answering my questions. I bought a 4/8 Harley, and I can't wait to get it.

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
Best of luck, please report back post shave 1. Also, don't be shy if you have any questions.

I do have a question with stropping. I know that before each shave you will need to strop the razor. One of the questions is, what typically is a normal number of passes for a pre-shave stropping? The materials that Larry sent me, also recommend doing a post-shave stropping to ensure you are storing a clean blade. How many passes are recommended for a post-shave stropping?

I do 30 on linen and 50 on leather before a shave. After the shave I do 10 passes on linen before the razor is put away.

I bought the strop kit that Larry sells. I am not sure what the second side of the strop is. I am assuming the other side will just be a rougher leather to be used as a pasted strop?

I bought the strop kit that Larry sells. I am not sure what the second side of the strop is. I am assuming the other side will just be a rougher leather to be used as a pasted strop?

You may use it plain or pasted, but once it is pasted, it should always remain pasted. :001_smile Larry uses a nicely finished leather that is slick. If you lay the strop flat and rub it with your palm until it is warm before use it will help condition the strop.

I believe the strop Larry sells is just a leather strop. He sends a piece of balsa wood to put pastes on, that is used for doing touchups only, not part of the everyday shave.

I strop 30 fabric, 60 leather before every shave, and just dry the razor on my towel with a stropping motion before putting it away. Ask 20 different people, get 20 different answers here.

Ok, I think I may have a small problem. I just bought the razor from Larry, on Friday. Well today from the B/S/T forum i have just bought two more straights. I bought a puma, and a wade & butcher. I fully expected SRAD to bite me on the arse, but not before I actually received my first straight.

I got my first straight in the mail yesterday. It was the razor I bought from Larry, at whippeddog. Well, I shaved with it this morning. Before today, the only straight razor I had used was a feather ac, and that was only 3 or 4 shaves. The shave today with the traditional straight was much different than the feahter ac. Not just the difference in sharpness. The traditional straight even though not as sharp was easier to use for me. The blade being longer made a big difference. The finished shave wasn't anything to right about. The experience though was priceless. The amount of feedback that I got from the traditional straight made a huge difference. Tonight I need to prep the poor man's strop that I got from Larry. I will do my first stropping tomorrow, and have my second go using a traditional straight. One thing I did today that was different than using the feather ac, was to use my left hand when shaving the left side of my face. All I can say to that is WOW! Huge difference. I can't believe how much more natural it felt to shave that way. I wish I could hit fast forward to tomorrow morning.

Last edited:
I got my first straight in the mail yesterday. It was the razor I bought from Larry, at whippeddog. Well, I shaved with it this morning. Before today, the only straight razor I had used was a feather ac, and that was only 3 or 4 shaves. The shave today with the traditional straight was much different than the feahter ac. Not just the difference in sharpness. The traditional straight even though not as sharp was easier to use for me. The blade being longer made a big difference. The finished shave wasn't anything to right about. The experience though was priceless. The amount of feedback that I got from the traditional straight made a huge difference. Tonight I need to prep the poor man's strop that I got from Larry. I will do my first stropping tomorrow, and have my second go using a traditional straight. One thing I did today that was different than using the feather ac, was to use my left hand when shaving the left side of my face. All I can say to that is WOW! Huge difference. I can't believe how much more natural it felt to shave that way. I wish I could hit fast forward to tomorrow morning.

Good job!

The shaves will get better, and it just gets easier.

Keep it up!

Thanks! I know that over time they will get better. I just wish it was time to shave again. I am still going over my technique from this morning.

Well, had my second shave today. My first stropping was actually last night. I would say the first stropping was a success, since I was still able to shave with it this morning. No nicks yet! The shave today was a bit better. I am only doing WTG passes. I noticed that instead of doing my full face, I will check the side I just shaved. If it doesn't feel smooth. I will re-lather, and shave it again trying different angles. I find myself not wanting to move to another area, until the current section is smooth WTG. Well the over all shave was just ok. Still stubble in certain areas. I'm not picking up the DE to do touch ups. I am hoping this will force the technique to improve quicker. I have been trying not to shave on Sundays to give my face a rest day, but I will be attempting my 3rd shave tomorrow morning. I will more than likely strop the blade this evening. right now I am using a 4/8 either 1/4 hollow, 1/2 hollow.

Top Bottom