What's new

Help, I need a pep talk!

I started wet shaving with a DE razor and brush back in November. I use a 1960 Gillette Super Speed with Wilkinson sword classic blades, a vintage Ever-ready brush with a puck of Williams or a travel size AOS brush with some AOS sandalwood cream, followed by a splash of Bay Rum AS and then a balm. My problem is the great BBS shaves with no knicks or irritation are few and far between. I had better, more consistant, shaves with my Mach 3 and a can o' goo (I'll probably lose my B&B membership for saying that). I've been thinking about switching back to the Mach 3 but continuing with the brush with soap and cream and the post-shave routine. I figured I'd have this down by now. I use light if any pressure at all and i believe I have the angle down pretty good. most of the knicks end up just under my chin, at the corners of my mouth, along the jaw line or around the adams apple. The irritation is usually at the lower neck on one side. Is my razor and blade set-up wrong or is it something else?

Last edited:
Granted I'm new at this too, but I've already noticed how much of a difference different blades can make. Have you tried any other blades in that razor?

I'm sure others with more experience will be along shortly.

I think your right. I use to use the cheap blades from walmart and walgreens. but after getting feather blades from ebay. I get BBS shaves everytime. The blade makes a big difference.

Granted I'm new at this too, but I've already noticed how much of a difference different blades can make. Have you tried any other blades in that razor?

No. I live on an island in Alaska and the Wilkinson sword classics are the only thing available at the store here.

Anybody have a good idea of what blades would work well with a 1960 Gillette SS?

I started wet shaving with a DE razor and brush back in November. I use a 1960 Gillette Super Speed with Wilkinson sword classic blades, a vintage Ever-ready brush with a puck of Williams or a travel size AOS brush with some AOS sandalwood cream, followed by a splash of Bay Rum AS and then a balm. My problem is the great BBS shaves with no knicks or irritation are few and far between. I had better, more consistant, shaves with my Mach 3 and a can o' goo (I'll probably lose my B&B membership for saying that). I've been thinking about switching back to the Mach 3 but continuing with the brush with soap and cream and the post-shave routine. I figured I'd have this down by now. I use light if any pressure at all and i believe I have the angle down pretty good. most of the knicks end up just under my chin, at the corners of my mouth, along the jaw line or around the adams apple. The irritation is usually at the lower neck on one side. Is my razor and blade set-up wrong or is it something else?

You can order a sampler pack from westcoastshaving or other vendors here at B&B to try out. If the Mach 3 works for you there's nothing wrong with that either. Whatever works for you is what it's all about.

The usual problem areas are prep, blade choice/razor, pressure and angle. If you are familiar with the B&B wikis on prep, angle and lathering, it could be the blades you are using. From my personal experience, angle and pressure took the longest to sort out.

Codfish

No. I live on an island in Alaska and the Wilkinson sword classics are the only thing available at the store here.

Anybody have a good idea of what blades would work well with a 1960 Gillette SS?
I have a 1960 SS. An excellent razor.

I have a relatively light beard, and sensitive skin.

I have had excellent results with Astra Superior Platinums, Derby Extra, and Gillette 7O'Clock Sharp Edge. I havent tried Feathers in it yet.

Based on what you're saying, it sounds to me like you need to look closely at your beard growth pattern. What I found was that I was going ATG when I was trying to go XTG. Once i got that down, results were immediate.

the usual problem areas are prep, blade choice/razor, pressure and angle. If you are familiar with the b&b wikis on prep, angle and lathering, it could be the blades you are using. From my personal experience, angle and pressure took the longest to sort out.

codfish

+1.

I've only been doing this a couple of months longer than you, so I'm no expert. I still find that BBS shaves are pretty rare, though I consistently score DFS shaves. The Superspeed is an excellent choice. If I only had one razor, that might be in contention. But why limit yourself to one? I'd go on Ebay or BST and try to find a nice user grade NEW, which is a lttle more aggressive than the SS, or a Gillette Old Type which is definitely more aggressive. +1 on what the others have said about trying different blades, but I would not try the Derbys. Some people have good results with them, but theri review are quite mixed. Astras or Red Personnas are both inexpensive, forgiving blades, and I think are reputed to be a bit sharper than the Wilkinsons. The feathers are also quite good, but not all newbies like them. I might also experiment with some other soaps and creams.

I don't know what your routine is, but I find that I consistently get better shaves when I am not in a hurry, so if you can find a time to shave when you are not rushed, it may help.

And thank you for your service to our country.

Last edited:
+1 on the previous responses. Especially the blade sampler. We all deal with limited local access to blades - online shopping is your answer.

I forgot to mention that I also have a Gillette 3 piece razor with the same blades that I use in my travel kit. I've only used it maybe a dozen times but the results seem to be about the same. With that being said (and the number of responses) I'm starting to think it might be the blades. I see a blade sampler pack in my future...

I'll probably get some groans from the Peanut Gallery for suggesting this, but try a pack of Merkur blades. I've heard there can be serious QA problems with them, but every pack I've ever had the razors were awesome, and when Merkurs are on, they are ON.

I use them in my '60 Flair-Tip SS, and get BBS most of the time.

Yeah, it sounds as if a blade sampler is in order, but could also be a beard growth issue. Have you ever mapped the direction of your beard growth? The reason I ask is that around my mouth, chin and entire neck...my beard grows in crazy directions..much like a patchwork quilt. One part of my chin grows one direction, and less than .5inches away, it grows in the opposite direction. It could be that when you think you're shaving WTG, you're actually shaving ATG.

Regarding you Mach 3...if that's what you want to use and it delivers the results you're after, then use it. It's all about a good, comfortable and enjoyable shave..right? Good luck ;)

I think he said he's on an island and he can't get anything but Wilkinson right now. He's in the military. I don't know how often they get mail or whatever. Anyway, there are a lot of good suggestions above.

Adam: considering your cirucumstances I would not hesitate to use the Mach 3 and then you could try out some other blades later on.

You can order a sampler pack from westcoastshaving or other vendors here at B&B to try out. If the Mach 3 works for you there's nothing wrong with that either. Whatever works for you is what it's all about.

What he said. As long as you have mail delivery the entire world of shaving is literally at your door step.

Thanks for your service. We appreciate what you do for us.

If you PM me with your name and address, I will be honored to PIF you an assortment of blades.

Last edited:
Can't add a thing that hasn't already been said (but I'll give it a try!) except good luck.

Hang in there, don't give up. Cartridges !?? Bah, Humbug !! No way!

I use a Gillette Black Handle SS made in '68 (I bought it new back then) and when I went to a Russian Gillette 7 O'Clock Sharpedge the difference was like night and day. YMMV. I'm not suggesting only buying the 0700s.

Hey, I live in rural Maine, I live by ordering things via the 'net and delivery. So you can do it too.

A few bits of advise from a fairly seasoned shaver from over the pond.
Don't get too hung up on this BBS shave lark, just have a "good shave" that is fine for the day. The BBS will come in time.
Get a blade sampler pack you may find it is the blade is the issue, keep the rest of your routine the same so the only variation are the blades and make sure you give each blade type a chance.
The razor you have is a good all rounder and should not give you any issues, avoid open combs for a while I.E the Gillette "Old" & "New" razors as they will not do you any favours. Esp the Old as it takes a different thickness of blades and the blade angle is not quite correct unless you shim it (I have both razors so I am speaking from experience.....:wink2:)
If you find a cartridge razor works for you that is not a crime, just stay away from the canned goo........:001_rolle:lol:.
Remember shaving is supposed to be a pleasurable experience not a chore or un-achievable goal.
Keep at you will get there in the end.
Steve

The bold part is exactly what happens to me. I am right handed, and the right side of my neck is red-free while the left side is usually irritated has has red bumps.

I could swear up and down that i'm using the same technique on both sides, but obviously i am not. I started switching to my left hand while shaving the left side of my face/neck and once my left arm got used to it, i have been irritation free.

You should try using your off-hand for the off-side of your face, just my 2¢

The bold part is exactly what happens to me. I am right handed, and the right side of my neck is red-free while the left side is usually irritated has has red bumps.

I could swear up and down that i'm using the same technique on both sides, but obviously i am not. I started switching to my left hand while shaving the left side of my face/neck and once my left arm got used to it, i have been irritation free.

You should try using your off-hand for the off-side of your face, just my 2¢

Great idea but my irritation is on the same side. Maybe I should try the opposite hand....

Top Bottom