What's new

Out with the Old and in with the News a double fisted double edge razor shave off!

So having worked my way through the amazing ever expanding double edge razor sampler pack, it's time to start thining the herd so I can focus on a few favorites. I don't NEED more than one 3-piece open comb, but I like them all! Which one to keep? Oh the (first world) problems RAD has caused me! I leaned slightly in favor of the New or New Improved over the Old Type already, so this morning I staged a little open comb shave off in my bathroom.

Fresh out of the shower with the bathroom all steamed up and a nice layer of lather on my head and face I grabbed one in each hand and started alternating passes on alternate sides of my head. I tried them both every which way, switching hands. each on every part of my face and head, WTG, XTG, ATG, J-hooking. To be honest both felt great! I even threw in the OLD Type in for a few cameo passes toward the end, and it was good too! The New Improved was slightly smoother, but that's not to say the New isn't smooth. It is. When the lather had setled I got an equally good BBS shave from each. With a very slight preference for the New Improved, I consider my results inconclusive, well within the margin of error, which means I'm calling a tie! They will both survive to fight another round!

Now you know why some people keep a number of razors in rotation. One is all anyone needs but.............:001_tt1:

Now you know why some people keep a number of razors in rotation. One is all anyone needs but.............:001_tt1:

Oh I know. I know all too well, but I want to get my rotation down to about 5 max. More than that and I get overwhelmed and can't really choose. 3 would probably be a really good number, but I seriously doubt I can do that. De89, Red Tip, an Open comb, but then that leaves no room for the other razors I want. Nope, sorry I think It'll have to be at least 4.

Oh I know. I know all too well, but I want to get my rotation down to about 5 max. More than that and I get overwhelmed and can't really choose. 3 would probably be a really good number, but I seriously doubt I can do that. De89, Red Tip, an Open comb, but then that leaves no room for the other razors I want. Nope, sorry I think It'll have to be at least 4.

:lol::lol::lol: atta boy

Hey there Matt -

Good man, simplifying is an admirable goal! Wish I were better at that.

Anyway, here's what I see as sort of a limitation on the shave-off, or face-off? Oops, don't like the sound of the latter...

Initially, when going back to DE shaving with a host of different razors and blades, I was seeing quite different results depending on tool selection. Now I'm not - with even more types of razors in the arsenal. If using enough focus, I'm getting better results than before but pretty much the same regardless.

I do apprehend a growing appreciation for subtle differences in technique required for different razors. And that's part of the fun for me. But the results have improved and plateaued, pretty much the same end product. It's the experience that varies now.

For what it's worth.

I'll be following this interesting comparison to see how it works for you!

- Bill

BigFoot

I wanna be sedated!
Staff member
I love the fact that before I go to bed at night I look at the razors and say.....ok it will be you tomorrow. I do that for a while, and then use nothing but my Bull Mastiff.:001_huh:

I would go nuts limiting my rotation to 3 or 4 razors. Keep em all!:thumbup:

Top Bottom