What's new

Nice Aqua Velva bottles!

full

Hello gents,

In my never ending quest to find the perfect ASLs I stumbled upon this set of two Velva bottles. They came together in a single, elongated Williams box, and what caught my eye wasn't the ASL, which I already have, but the Aqua Velva cologne, which I had never seen. I have seen plenty of "Sport" versions, but not the "plain" Aqua Velva cologne. You may have seen it a lot in your side of the pond, my friends from across the Atlantic, but here it is RARE.

But perhaps what I like the most about these is the size of the bottles. Check them out:

In my hand:
full

With the bigger bottle:
full

With a bottle of Proraso ASB:
full

Regarding the cologne, what can I say? It's pure Aqua Velva scent, just like the ASL, but really long lasting, and I mean looong lasting. Not seen a review here, but I don't think it's worth it, just smell your Velva ASL and voilà!, that's how the cologne smells like.

But I'm definitely keeping those bottles for travel!

Last edited by a moderator:
M

modern man

:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

WHERE DO I GET THIS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Can you get more? I will trade/pay anyting.

I couldn't find the cologne with a google search, but I did find this interesting article.

Oh, and I found that there apparently was a version called Aqua Velva Redwood. See here.

Also and interesting slang definition of Aqua Velva.

-Mo

Okay, I know this isn't the right place to ask this, but I suspect the topic is spread all over many threads, so I'll take my chances. At age 46, I've never tried Aqua Velva. (waits for passing of expressions of disbelief) Is it alcohol-based; in other words, would I get one of those Home Alone, burn-my-face-off moments?:scared: I tried a small sample of Fendi Uomo AS the other day, and it felt like my face was being peeled off.

Is it alcohol-based; in other words, would I get one of those Home Alone, burn-my-face-off moments?:scared:

Bob,

Why yes, as a matter of fact. Aqua Velva is very special, in that it also has a heavy dose of menthol, which produces a cooling effect. So you have burn, combined with, and slowly supplanted by, coolness. It is about the most refreshing thing you can imagine.

-Mo

Okay, I know this isn't the right place to ask this, but I suspect the topic is spread all over many threads, so I'll take my chances. At age 46, I've never tried Aqua Velva. (waits for passing of expressions of disbelief) Is it alcohol-based; in other words, would I get one of those Home Alone, burn-my-face-off moments?:scared: I tried a small sample of Fendi Uomo AS the other day, and it felt like my face was being peeled off.

Yes and no...I wouldn't call it a burning sensation, rather more like a tingly sting (in a good way). This tingly sting is immediately followed by a menthol coolness that is SO refreshing it's unbelievable. YMMV. :biggrin:

M

modern man

Bob,

Why yes, as a matter of fact. Aqua Velva is very special, in that it also has a heavy dose of menthol, which produces a cooling effect. So you have burn, combined with, and slowly supplanted by, coolness. It is about the most refreshing thing you can imagine.

-Mo

That was a magical statment. Its getting misty in here. :tongue:

Originally posted by Doc Mottern
WHERE DO I GET THIS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Can you get more? I will trade/pay anyting.

Will, I found them in a local chain here called "Marionnaud", dealing mostly on perfumes and stuff. When I snatched the box, I only saw another one left. Whadda ya say? You were the first to draw... :quickdraw

Originally posted by Baloosh
+2

I'll try to get some info on this set, to meet this unexpected demand:thumbup1: What I can certainly find is the original, classic bottle that seems to have been discontinued in the US. I wonder if the formula is the same here, it certainly looks lighter in colour...

Originally posted by moses
I couldn't find the cologne with a google search, but I did find this interesting article.
Also and interesting slang definition of Aqua Velva.

No comment... :out: :lol: :a47:

Originally posted by farace
Is it alcohol-based; in other words, would I get one of those Home Alone, burn-my-face-off moments?

The answer is no, of course. If you shaved well, you will only feel a certain tingle, as Cory said, followed by a cool, almost polar freshness that will get you addicted to it.

Originally posted by Doc Mottern
I would have died a Martyr that day.

All hail St. Mottern, Patron Saint of scent-wearing wetshavers. :badger:

But if they try to take my Polo or Calvin Klein, they'll have to pry the bottles from my cold, dead but nice-smelling fingers.

Replace that with Aqua Velva, and you have me!!! :a11:

Well, at $3.50 at your local drugstore, you can't go that wrong....

Hey, one more quick question, which might be stupid, but I don't know any better yet. :confused1 Is Aqua Velva anything like Proraso AS Splash? Same family? Completely different?

Hey, one more quick question, which might be stupid, but I don't know any better yet. :confused1 Is Aqua Velva anything like Proraso AS Splash? Same family? Completely different?

Different, at least to me. The AV has a moment or two of menthol coolness but the Proraso will stay cold for at least 10 minutes (YMMV!). The scents are also not alike.

Top Bottom