What's new

my new 1918 gillette in box

Hi, well it is hard to tell if it was taken in the military or not. It is a 1918 date code although not a military code; however since I have a Gillette brochure that states that servicemen had to furnish their own razors it very well could have been in WW1. You'll never really know for sure. Welcome aboard, but from now on you'd be better off writing in a regular style instead of writing like you're texting someone.

Last edited:
That is definitely a Standard Set. The interesting part about it is the sewn on logo.

proxy.php

It has more in common with this early 1920's Canadian logo. Note that is only says "Known The World Over" and does not say "Made in USA".

proxy.php

Here's the same type of sewn on logo with the "Made in USA" added. Iyt is a 1921 set.

proxy.php

I have never had a Standard Set with that logo and Achim doesn't have any listed on his site, either. Very cool.

Hi, well it is hard to tell if it was taken in the military or not. It is a 1918 date code although not a military code; however since I have a Gillette brochure that states that servicemen had to furnish their own razors it very well could have been in WW1. You'll never really know for sure. Welcome aboard, but from now on you'd be better off writing in a regular style instead of writing like you're texting someone.

I recall reading (Adams book, maybe?) that at some point during the war the government contracted for a large number of razors to be provided to the enlisted men in the field, as mustard gas use was increasing and a clean shave was needed for good gas mask function. So, yes, at the beginning of the war the soldier was expected to purchase his own, but later they were issued. I believe officers were still expected to purchase their own, which explains the more ornate "military sets" available at the time.

dude007 - Welcome to B&B!! Are you from The Netherlands? Your English is good!!

Last edited:
I recall reading (Adams book, maybe?) that at some point during the war the government contracted for a large number of razors to be provided to the enlisted men in the field, as mustard gas use was increasing and a clean shave was needed for good gas mask function. So, yes, at the beginning of the war the soldier was expected to purchase his own, but later they were issued. I believe officers were still expected to purchase their own, which explains the more ornate "military sets" available at the time.

OK well the mustard gas idea does sound like a good one. But I do have the Gillette pamphlet, which I just got off of ebay, stating that each soldier was expected to buy his own razor. Maybe this clears it up.

Gentlemen . . .

I have never responded like this to other people's posts before, but I feel compelled to do so now.

Yes, dude007 wrote his post in one (grammatically incorrect) run-on sentence. Yes, it was more along the style of modern-day text-messaging. And yes, as an "Old School" curmudgeon my eyes glaze over too. Such things make at least five of my long-dead English teachers roll over in their graves!!

Did anyone notice that the link contained in his post was to a site in the Netherlands? Is it possible that English is not his native tongue? Did anyone notice that this was his first post here? B&B is truly an international community, and this gentlemanly group usually goes out of its way to make people feel welcome here.

People tend to adopt the communications style of those they communicate with. Since our group is diverse, our collective style is very moderate. While not always perfect in grammar and spelling, everyone makes themselves understood.

Several notable members have already posted positively in this thread. At least one is from a country where English is not the mother tongue. We would all be at a great loss if Achim didn't feel welcome here. Likewise, Alex, with well over 4,000 posts, almost always uses modern-day text-like vernacular in his posts . . . where would we be without his viewpoint and comments?

Our diversity makes us better, and we have lots to learn and plenty to teach in our interaction with each other. Shame on those who are unjustifiably critical of others!

(I'll go take my medicine now . . .)

Got this case in a batch of cases, discarding the junk ones, this case cost me about $3. I put an 1916 Single Ring in it (no made in, no Gillette logo), I figured it fit, but maybe a later one would be closer to it? I hate mucking up the pool, but a empty case and a caseless Single Ring...

-jim

Gentlemen . . .

I have never responded like this to other people's posts before, but I feel compelled to do so now.

Yes, dude007 wrote his post in one (grammatically incorrect) run-on sentence. Yes, it was more along the style of modern-day text-messaging. And yes, as an "Old School" curmudgeon my eyes glaze over too. Such things make at least five of my long-dead English teachers roll over in their graves!!

Did anyone notice that the link contained in his post was to a site in the Netherlands? Is it possible that English is not his native tongue? Did anyone notice that this was his first post here? B&B is truly an international community, and this gentlemanly group usually goes out of its way to make people feel welcome here.

People tend to adopt the communications style of those they communicate with. Since our group is diverse, our collective style is very moderate. While not always perfect in grammar and spelling, everyone makes themselves understood.

Several notable members have already posted positively in this thread. At least one is from a country where English is not the mother tongue. We would all be at a great loss if Achim didn't feel welcome here. Likewise, Alex, with well over 4,000 posts, almost always uses modern-day text-like vernacular in his posts . . . where would we be without his viewpoint and comments?

Our diversity makes us better, and we have lots to learn and plenty to teach in our interaction with each other. Shame on those who are unjustifiably critical of others!

:

Native english speaker here. Usually my spelling and grammar errors occur when my brain travels faster than my fingers can type.

I welcome all. Don't worry if your english is perfect or not, we'll do our best to figure it out (or you'll get a lot of confused smilies:blink:).

It´s not on my site because I´ve not enough informations about it :blushing:
I´ve posted pictures some years ago. Here it´s again:

Here is mine. I bought this from Texbilly. It has been very well cared for. First 4 pics from sale, last pic is after it arrived.

S

Sydney Guy

Gentlemen . . .

I am the last person to criticise a non-English-speaker for not using grammatical English as I know that I am not perfect when attempting to use other languages. However I object strongly to the practice of "txtng" other than in SMSs and even then I'm not enthusiastic about it. In a forum like this it's just sheer laziness IMO. Why should reading their drivel require more effort from the reader than they put into writing it?

Do you imagine for a minute that Dutch or any other European language lacks punctuation, capital letters or sentence structure? In any case many of the worst offenders for that behaviour do not have the excuse of writing in a foreign tongue, although it does seem that grammar, spelling and punctuation are indeed foreign to them.

FWIW most Dutch people I have met speak excellent English.

Top Bottom