What's new

Keeping Razor Scales Dry While Shaving?

I've heard that you're supposed to keep straight razor scales dry even when shaving. Isn't that very hard to do? With me, I can keep the scales away from running water, but my fingers get wet from touching my face, and the water from my fingers get on the scales. Did I misunderstand that statement?

I use a sponge. The only time my razor comes in contact with running water is when I'm rinsing the blade off when I'm done. My hands are pretty much dry the entire time I shave. The hand holding the razor never touches anything wet (face or otherwise). When I switch hands I simply wipe my stretching hand off should it get wet.

I don't worry about it. If the scales get wet I just make sure they are dry before putting the razor away.

I don't worry about it. If the scales get wet I just make sure they are dry before putting the razor away.

Yeah, that's what I think too. I think it's too much to ask for to keep the scales dry even when shaving. When I'm done, I make sure I dry the scales good.

I always dry my hands on a towel before picking the razor up, only because i don't want to slip.

If some does get in, a bit of tp is easy to get in between the scales too

I generally dry my hands before I shave. Losing your grip on two and a half inches of steel is not a good idea. And that keeps the scales dry as well.

Yes :001_smile. The thing is that I switch hands. I shave the right side of my face with my right hand, and I shave the left side of my face with my left hand.

So do I, as do no doubt many of us do. I'm confused as to how your other hand is getting wet though.

Coles notes of my routine: wet face, lather, dry hands, strop razor, shave.

My hands stay nice and dry unless I do something silly and get lather on them from my face, in which case I just dry that hand.

So do I, as do no doubt many of us do. I'm confused as to how your other hand is getting wet though.

Coles notes of my routine: wet face, lather, dry hands, strop razor, shave.

My hands stay nice and dry unless I do something silly and get lather on them from my face, in which case I just dry that hand.

between passes i wash my face, so my hands are always some sort of wet. I haven't noticed on my razors that water affects my grip much, a mixture of water and lather on the other hand does affect my grip...

however, i don't see my scales every really getting that wet, but i think a nice wipe and it drys off pretty quickly in my house..

If I have to keep my straight razor dry, I may as well go back to DE shaving. :laugh:

Seriously, I tend to splash a little water around... I make sure it is very well dried and clean when I'm done though.

I imagine it would be fine for the scales to get a little wet. I don't think razor makers would put scales on straights that weren't made to get a little wet. I mean, we shave by a sink, water goes places.

If I have to keep my straight razor dry, I may as well go back to DE shaving. :laugh:

Seriously, I tend to splash a little water around... I make sure it is very well dried and clean when I'm done though.

Yes, as long as the scales are dried after shaving, I don't see a problem in them getting a little wet.

I am having trouble understanding how everyone is getting their scales so wet.

The thing you need to worry about is less about water damaging the scales and more about moisture inside the scales and at the pivot pin that will cause rust.

Top Bottom