What's new

guitar question

so is it easier for beginners to start on an electric guitar or an acoustic? I've heard that picking an electric is easier because the strings are thinner than an acoustic, but learning on an acoustic will help with finger strength. Is this true? i've always wondered how some of the great guitar players out there learned to play. I tried learning the basics on my acoustic but just couldn't keep at it. is it different if you have a cheap electric that you can play through an amp? what's the consensus?

I learned on a 5 string acoustic guitar (one of the tuning pegs was broke) moving to electric was easier to play after that. With an acoustic it builds finger strength and you don't have to set up your equipment like you do with an electric (Electric guitar, amp, cable....and electricity). An electric is easier to play plus you can get effects for it. Unless you get an electric/acoustic guitar which is the best of both worlds :thumbup:. I would recommend getting an acoustic just to see if your going to stick with it before you start sinking a bunch of money into equipment. Good Luck!! It's the gift that keep on giving!!

What matters most on a guitar is it's "action" how high the strings from the frets are etc Find a guitar that is comfortable to play whether it's nylon or steel if it's acoustic I've seen and owned electrics with heavy strings and light strings. what matters most is comfort of playing and tone to me the techniques used between electric and acoustic are quite different and good electric players often seem lost on acoustics and visa versa my advise is get a nice acoustic guitar to start and advance to electric as you get better and can appreciate the differences.

Larry Coryell once commented he had the opportunity to jam with Eric Clapton when he arrived all that was available were acoustic guitars and Coryell a master on the electric felt totally lost whereas Clapton was equally adept on both electric and acoustic, Coryell immediately purchased an acoustic guitar and learned to play it.

Electrics for the most part are easier to play , but some acoustics are almost as easy. Get something that is comfortable to play. Finger strength will develop with either one. If you are not comfortable on an instrument , you will not want to play it.

Electrics for the most part are easier to play , but some acoustics are almost as easy. Get something that is comfortable to play. Finger strength will develop with either one. If you are not comfortable on an instrument , you will not want to play it.

+1. I started on an acoustic. But the best advice is to find a guitar that is comfortable. Buy a cheap one with a wonky neck and loose frets and you'll never pick it up.
Lots of options out there for strings to make your experience more enjoyable.

Start on an acoustic! It will build up strength for your fingers. Make sure you get a guitar that has an action that is comfortable for you (meaning the height of the strings). I would also find out what gauge strings feel the best to you. Learning on an acoustic IS more difficult, but the experience and skill you get learning on it will transfer to whenever you decide to start playing electric.

I have a cheap Epiphone acoustic but I have no idea what gauge the strings are. I just know the strings are uncomfortable on my fingers, which i'm guessing is supposed to happen.

I started with an acoustic, and moved to an electric after about 6 months.

I recommend starting with the acoustic, for the same reasons already mentioned (less equipment to deal with, build up finger strength faster, less to hide behind). Learn to play an acoustic well, and you'll be able to transition to an electric very easily.

Of course, the biggest determining factor to how successful you'll be is how much time, energy, and determination into learning.

Best of luck!

electrics can be more fun for the noob who doesn't really know how to play - eventually they'll figure out how to make noise and use the effects pedal.

that was me when i started out. i bought an epiphone sg special from musician's friend and taught myself to play. about 6 months later i bought an acoustic. i sold the sg and never looked back. it's been more than 6 years now. acoustic is so much more rewarding for me. some day i might go and get an electric again, but i would strongly recommend acoustic for any beginner.

Regardless of finger strength I would advise an acoustic to start. Lots to be learned there before adding the complexity of amps and effects. Find your tone on the acoustic where your own style will develop.

I think it really depends on what you're trying to learn.
Do you want to end up playing "Smoke on the water" or the Segovia transcriptions of Bach's Cello Suites?
Everyone in the world plays guitar. You'll get lots of free opinions

Without knowing where your bar is set who knows what the right gear is?

Electrics generally have lighter gauge strings vs acoustic and the electric action is generally closer to the frets vs inexpensive acoustics. These two factors in my opinion make electrics easier to play as a beginner. That being said I agree with the prior posts and recommend learning with an acoustic.

High action can sometimes be mitigated by putting on light or extra light gauge strings, which will be easier on the fingers and should lower the action a bit (if needed). I bought my wife a used Sigma (foreign made inexpensive Martin brand) where the original owner had a luthier adjust the neck to lower the action. It plays great.

Playing will build up calluses on your finger tips. Gradually increase practice/playing time over a couple of weeks and you will be amazed at the progress. Things like dish washing, where your fingers are wet for long periods of time, soften your tips which is not a good thing for acoustic guitar playing.

Strings are like DE blades - buy in bulk, don't pay retail, and change them more frequently than you could.

Last edited:
Are nylon strings on an acoustic easier to play than metal strings on an electric?

Nylon strings are usually used on a classical style guitar which is meant to be plucked with your fingers than strummed with a pick. What few i have played did seem easier to fret a chord than a steal stringed acoustic.

Last edited:
It's better to learn on an acoustic. It will improve your technique faster and you won't have to worry about an amplifier. Chords are the first thing to learn and they will sound better strummed on an acoustic. A $500 acoustic goes alot further than a $500 electric, more bang for buck. Not many beginners start with a $1000 electric

I learned on a 5 string acoustic guitar (one of the tuning pegs was broke) moving to electric was easier to play after that. With an acoustic it builds finger strength and you don't have to set up your equipment like you do with an electric (Electric guitar, amp, cable....and electricity). An electric is easier to play plus you can get effects for it. Unless you get an electric/acoustic guitar which is the best of both worlds :thumbup:. I would recommend getting an acoustic just to see if your going to stick with it before you start sinking a bunch of money into equipment. Good Luck!! It's the gift that keep on giving!!

yup, an electric/acoustic guitar might be the way to go.

I agree with the troops. Start with an acoustic. A very good acoustic electric can be had for a few hundred. Unless you by a Gibson, Taylor or other high end brand ($2000 and up) change the strings as soon as you get it. I use Elixer medium gauge on my acoustics - very good strings and they last forever. Now I will disagree on one point - a good electric can be had for under $1000 - but you do need an amp. I just bought a 6 watt, hand wired Tube amp at a local music store for $200. It sounds great. My main amp is a Vox AC30 with "blue" speakers - it ran me $1900. My electric is a Gibson Les Paul studio - it went for $2600 new but I got if form a guy who was out of work for $900. Deals can be had if you take your time

*bump*

I've been thinking of revisiting the old acoustic since it's been collecting dust in the spare bedroom. I was watching a ton of youtube videos of young 'uns and some older fellas doing some great Metallica covers on their electric guitars and I was nothing short of amazed.

I was checking out http://learnguitarfastandeasy.com/blog/ and this fella certainly makes it sound like i'm missing out, or at the very least, selling myself short. He makes a lot of good points about guitar playing that we've all succumbed to, so part of me wants to give it a try and see if I can get excited about learning guitar again. does anyone know of any other decent online guitar tutorial sites that I should check out?

It is better to learn to play on an acoustic, but only if that'll keep you interested. The most important thing is to practice and enjoy doing so, so if you're more likely to do that with an electric, I say go for the electric. Nylon strung guitars seem easier to play as the string-tension is less abnd they are usually much thicker, meaning less stress on the fingerpads, but the action tends to be higher and the strings more spaced out due to the wider neck. I find myself literally missing strings further up the neck at times on a nylon strung. It depends on your budget. A very cheap acoustic/clasical guitar will sound it unless you're very lucky, whereas you can get a decent Yamaha Pacifica electric for not a lot of money. Face the fact it'll all sound a bit ropey for aaages and just keep plugging away and you'll be ok.

I think it depends more on what music you are into. Look at your favorite artists and albums and see what the use, either electric or acoustic. If you like Rock, etc. pick up an electric. Some of those Metal solos just aren't possible on an acoustic that doesn't have a cutaway. Strumming Folk chords? Get an acoustic.

If you go to learn how to play something and the guitar doesn't sound and feel right for the style, you're not going to want to play it.

I started on electric and I don't regret it in the least. It suited the style of music I wanted to play. Master of Puppets isn't the same song on acoustic guitar.

That being said, eventually you'll wind up with multiple of both kinds if you stick with it long enough, or god forbid, you'll end up like me - with a bass too.

Top Bottom