What's new

Old Dominion "Ugly Mug" shave soaps

After looking around the internet for a bit, I checked into any soapmakers that were local, and these fit the bill. At $3.00 for a puck, I figured I didn't have too much to lose. I couldn't find much mention of these soaps here, so I took a gamble and bought them anyway. There are two versions, an Olive Oil (described as low-lathering) and a Glycerin based soap. After using the Glycerin based soap for a few days now, I can say it is a pretty solid performer. The lather tends to be a bit airy, and not as protective as some, but it is slick and leaves my skin feeling more moisturized than usual. I have yet to try the olive oil soap, but I figured I would post something in case someone else was curious about these.

I'm aware that most olive oil based soaps are despised. That's why I'm waiting for the weekend to try it out, so I have time to make a rescue lather if need be. I really don't have high hopes, but I wanted to try it since it is local to me, and the glycerin soap was decent.

Maybe the olive oil soaps suck but the shaving creams do not, I have 2 olive oil based creams in my rotation and they are both great on efficacy, latherability, and slip.

As always YMMV.

I gave up on the non-big name soaps a long time ago. I was so sick of buying puck after puck of cr@p!

Now I just stick to the big name, triple milled soaps. They perform consistently and last forever. I would be willing to buy the big name non-milled soaps (MB, SCS, QCS, QED etc) but I can't get them at a good price (inc. shipping).

I gave up on the non-big name soaps a long time ago. I was so sick of buying puck after puck of cr@p!

Now I just stick to the big name, triple milled soaps. They perform consistently and last forever. I would be willing to buy the big name non-milled soaps (MB, SCS, QCS, QED etc) but I can't get them at a good price (inc. shipping).

I can't speak as to the others, but QED does offer a large variety of wetshaving products including the big names, so you can easily add a puck or stick the next time you want to restock.

For the most part, I agree. I do like to support local business, though, which is why I tried these.

The olive oil soap did make a little lather (though the soap residue in my scuttle probably helped), but the biggest problem was that it disappeared quickly. After relathering my face a few times it stuck, and provided a decent shave. I wouldn't recommend buying it, but if I had to use it I could. I would say the glycerin soap is a pretty good deal at $3 for a puck, but if you're looking for a top of the line shaving experience, this isn't it.

Top Bottom