What's new

Eclipse Red Ring on the bay

Did anyone here win the beautiful Red Ring that went for $422 GBP ($682.509 USD)?:w00t:

I had the feeling that it would be well out of my reach early on but I watched it anyway to see the kind on money it would command.

I cannot post the link from work but I'm sure someone will.

Mike

I think it is right price after the sell of $460 metal cased one. This one is much pristine than it. However it is the last price if another Eclipse will come with cardbox, gift card and some unique case. I hope the buyer is a last user. I say this because there is no way to sell it higher than this price in next 10 years.

Sorry but madness IMO, sure its a nice original set but once these bidding wars start it just screws the values of every vintage razor.

Heck my boxed 05 double ring cost less than a tenth of that, what's next, £200 for a fat tech without a case :laugh:

The amazing thing is -- although relatively rare -- the Eclipse is not the greatest razor. Very attractive & one where "Deco" is quite apt, but the plating is thin, the weight fairly light, and the shave is similar to a fat handle tech. So what drives the prices so high? Apparently newcomers with too much money on their hands and a naive perspective on razors of value.

The amazing thing is -- although relatively rare -- the Eclipse is not the greatest razor. Very attractive & one where "Deco" is quite apt, but the plating is thin, the weight fairly light, and the shave is similar to a fat handle tech. So what drives the prices so high? Apparently newcomers with too much money on their hands and a naive perspective on razors of value.

I have completely the opposite opinion: my Eclipse is one of my best razors and shaves very differently to a Tech. I find it's actually a fairly aggressive razor and it never fails to deliver a BBS shave with a good blade. The plating on mine seems much thicker than that on Gillettes of the same era, the only plate loss being a very small area on the screw piece at the bottom of the handle. It seems to weigh a bit more than many of my Gillettes too. Mine doesn't have the Eclipse logo on the front, which I am given to understand signifies that it is an earlier one.

I agree that the prices are very high (although I did not pay anything like the price in the auction, mine being un-boxed) but it seems to be very desirable.

The thing is, though, if you want pretty much the same thing without the high price, you can just buy a Merkur 37C instead :001_smile

I didn't bid on this one, had a feeling it was a collector's piece and would go too high for my taste. I have no interest in an original case and blades etc., I just want one of the razors in decent condition.

I hope it went to someone who appreciates it. Well done whoever won.

Glad to hear you've gotten good shaves from these guys Wulfgar1976! It better justifies their great appeal. The one I sold here last year had a beautiful soft leather case, was in excellent condition & sold for considerably less than this EBay one. Way less. The plating is chrome -- at least on the head -- and often flakes off.

Glad to hear you've gotten good shaves from these guys Wulfgar1976! It better justifies their great appeal. The one I sold here last year had a beautiful soft leather case, was in excellent condition & sold for considerably less than this EBay one. Way less. The plating is chrome -- at least on the head -- and often flakes off.

I think I know the guy who bought the eclipse from you. :thumbup:

I just took a look at the bidding history & although I'm no Ebay expert it looks like the 2nd place guy had a lucky escape, the winner came out of nowhere with the final bid but I think he was expecting a £200ish final

Just a shame the 2nd place bidder had decided to put a monster bid in to cover himself as well:laugh:

It doesn't do the values any good but I think this is more of a blip than a precedent.

I disagree. The RR is one of the greatest razors. I only know of two or three that give a better shave, and these are even more exotic. The fact that the quality is similar to that of a FH Tech in no way contradicts this. Let's face it: the exceptional quality of the inexpensive, plain-Jane Tech is the guilty secret of all razordom.

I just took a look at the bidding history & although I'm no Ebay expert it looks like the 2nd place guy had a lucky escape, the winner came out of nowhere with the final bid but I think he was expecting a £200ish final

Just a shame the 2nd place bidder had decided to put a monster bid in to cover himself as well:laugh:

It doesn't do the values any good but I think this is more of a blip than a precedent.

I do not blame runner-up but that cover bid looks like an outrageous final snipe bid. I can easily say he is an amateur which is stated by Jake.

Also I am agree with Jake's statements. Eclipse is a mild shaver not the best. Yes, its design is unique but its structure and material are overall. Besides it has too many pieces. Head was plated with chrome for sure but the other parts were nickel plated. On the other hand I hope it will be reproduced someday with an improved structure and rhodium plating.

One of my favorite shavers, and they are beautiful. That was an incredible specimen. I assume that one will be going into a collection where it will be appreciated.

That said, my wife would kill me.

I doubt the winner purchased the Red Ring for its shaving merits. The winner must be a collector, and this is a very nice set, advertised as "unused." I won't be surprised if it sits on display or makes a reappearance on these forums in some nice photos. Bestarrkin is right, this particular razor has likely found its last owner.

As has been mentioned here and elsewhere, it sure would be nice if a modern razor maker would make reproductions based on the original patent, utilizing better materials if possible. Start a B&B poll, and I'm sure there would be hundreds highly interested in buying this reproduction.

Also I am agree with Jake's statements. Eclipse is a mild shaver not the best. Yes, its design is unique but its structure and material are overall. Besides it has too many pieces. Head was plated with chrome for sure but the other parts were nickel plated. On the other hand I hope it will be reproduced someday with an improved structure and rhodium plating.

If you don't think all that much of the Eclipse Red Ring, it seems strange that you started a thread recently complaining about being thwarted in your attempt to persuade a seller on Ebay to offer their Red Ring with a BIN price worth a fraction of the market value.

Unless, of course, you were simply hoping to sell it on for its real value.

Ho hum.

If you don't think all that much of the Eclipse Red Ring, it seems strange that you started a thread recently complaining about being thwarted in your attempt to persuade a seller on Ebay to offer their Red Ring with a BIN price worth a fraction of the market value.

Unless, of course, you were simply hoping to sell it on for its real value.

Ho hum.

Get real. Well if I got that better one then mine, it would be nice to look the two. FYI, I said I am a user not a lousy middleman. If you do like that which I do not care what you do, please do not accuse others with the same. Regards.

Last edited:
Easy guys... it is a very nice razor -- truly the Tech design is excellent. I was comparing the shave I get from an Aristocrat Jr., #15, or #16. Heft is a difference there.

I love my Eclipse, but for a daily shave, and for the front of my display, the British Gillettes deserve (and have earned) the focus. But this is not meant as fighting words. With respect to each shaver and his opinions and experiences. As we all know by now, Your Mileage May Vary!

Thanks Gents.

And congrats to Kelley for his good pickup of the Eclipse I sold. And hope he loves it -- but if he sells it -- I bet the price will not be a gouging one. Which is why we love BST over Ebay.

I can't believe that price, is lunacy!! :blink:

Are these razors normally that expensive?

Just wondering cos I bought an identical one with the same box recently for £24 and it is on its way to me. Very good/excellent condition rather than unused like the ebay example, but I take it I got a pretty good deal there then?

BigFoot

I wanna be sedated!
Staff member
I can't believe that price, is lunacy!! :blink:

Are these razors normally that expensive?

Just wondering cos I bought an identical one with the same box recently for £24 and it is on its way to me. Very good/excellent condition rather than unused like the ebay example, but I take it I got a pretty good deal there then?

How much is that in US Dollars. It sounds like one hell of a good price.

Top Bottom