What's new

GEM 1912 Damaskeen

Wow.

I have been wet shaving for most of 50-years, 99.999% of that with DE blades. I once tried injectors but that lasted less that 1/2 pass of one cheek.

Today I tried a GEM 1912 Damaskeen with a Gem SE blade, Vulfix Persian Musk and a Shavemac Best, model number 22710-23.

It was a terrific experience --- a super shave.

Now I need to figure out where to get decent blades.

--james

"Now I need to figure out where to get decent blades"

There was a recent "group buy" (see the razor blade sub-forum), maybe there are some cartons un-spoken for, give that a try.

DD

Said it before, I'll say it again. The Damaskeene is the best of the best.
What didn't you like about the Gem blade? Was it the Walgreens version or from a group buy?

Said it before, I'll say it again. The Damaskeene is the best of the best.
What didn't you like about the Gem blade? Was it the Walgreens version or from a group buy?

The GEM blade I used was fine and dandy. I just wasn't sure if that was the one commonly available as it was a gift from another B&Ber.

--james

kudos james, well done sir.

the damaskeene IS the bar.

I have to admit that I'm very impressed with it. My shave today was as good as I have ever gotten, and that was with an unfamiliar razor/blade combo so I was uncharacteristically careful.

I'll use the same Damaskeene/GEM combo in the morning with a different soap/brush combo and see how that goes.

--james

For a little variety you can try the Treet, Gem Blue Star or Pal carbon steel blades. I prefer the carbon steel blades but they don't last quite as long and take a little extra maintenance to keep them from rusting.

For a little variety you can try the Treet, Gem Blue Star or Pal carbon steel blades. I prefer the carbon steel blades but they don't last quite as long and take a little extra maintenance to keep them from rusting.

I may do that. I don'e mind extra maintenance. I need to do that anyway if I use my Pils DE.

--james

Tom, what is the difference between a Damaskeene and a "normal" 1912?

On most of the 1912's that are stamped with the USE ONLY WITH GEM DAMASKEENE BLADES the head is slightly rounded. I believe this makes it slightly better/different than the flat heads on the other 1912's. I also like the round, knurled handle on the Damaskeene a bit more than the hexagon shape.

The rounded head and similar, but smaller, handle on the 1914 Ever-Ready is why I like it almost as much as the Damaskeene, they're just a bit trickier to load and unload.

On most of the 1912's that are stamped with the USE ONLY WITH GEM DAMASKEENE BLADES the head is slightly rounded. I believe this makes it slightly better/different than the flat heads on the other 1912's. I also like the round, knurled handle on the Damaskeene a bit more than the hexagon shape.

The rounded head and similar, but smaller, handle on the 1914 Ever-Ready is why I like it almost as much as the Damaskeene, they're just a bit trickier to load and unload.

I have several Gems and three have that flat profile to them. One is ever so gently curved in profile. It is not engraved "Damaskeene" on the razor. Is it one or not? Can you have a Damaskeene without it being stamped as such?

I have several Gems and three have that flat profile to them. One is ever so gently curved in profile. It is not engraved "Damaskeene" on the razor. Is it one or not? Can you have a Damaskeene without it being stamped as such?

Some of the smaller travel models also have the curved head, I have one. I would GUESS that if ASR had some of the curved heads still in stock when they quit stamping the Damaskeene blade advertisement on the 1912's they probably used them up.

There really wasn't a model designated as the "Damaskeene" by ASR, it's a nickname given the models that had the Damaskeene blade advertisement on it.

Last edited:
Ah, got it and thanks - shall we refer to you as the ASR Historian? Ha, ha!

Which brings up a question (off topic a bit). Is there a book on the history of the razor, etc?

Ah, got it and thanks - shall we refer to you as the ASR Historian? Ha, ha!

Which brings up a question (off topic a bit). Is there a book on the history of the razor, etc?

No, there are plenty of guys that have forgotten more than I know about the history of the Gem line of razors. I've just benefited from trying to read every thread ever written here and other places about them.

You mean the top plate is not flat but curved like my Minuteman? If so then my Damaskeene does not have that, the top is flat like most other 1912's.

Top Bottom