What's new

Ever had any luck adding water to canned shave cream?

My main complaint with canned creams (and gels) is they always end up being too dry when applied as is. This dryness makes for a lot of drag with the blade on the face, compared to the nice, slick lather provided by a properly mixed Kiss My Face, or Tabac. I'm just wondering if anyone has ever tried mixing a little water with these creams to see if it will slick them up a bit.

I personally wouldn't waste my time with that. Maybe if the canned stuff was all that I had for some reason, then i would give it a try. When I used to use the canned stuff, thats how I thought it was supposed to be.

Interesting, you know I still have an original can of goop I never used...what the hell I will give it a try in the morning and see what kind of a mess I make! :w00t:

Last edited:
I've done this with Edge shave gel. It, actually, creates a respectable lather. I used it to defunk a couple of brushes, and I was shocked that the lather was thick and slick(er). It's not something I'd do a lot, as something in it eats at certain materials if left on for a long (long, long) time. Don't ask how I know that.

I don't think the same will work with foams. Something about water kills the foam when I apply it by hand.

I tried this last night, and while it made the cream slicker, it still doesn't produce as nice of a lather as the good creams or soaps.

I think if you wet your face before applying the canned cream or gel, it would work fine as is. I shaved like that for twenty-five years and got good shaves out of it. You just have to do the same kind of prep you would otherwise do.

I tried it once because I had a can of Eau Sauvage shaving cream (impossible to find in Canada, special delivery from a friend visiting Paris). It's still airy crap, vanishes in seconds, and does nothing to lubricate.

I wish I had been clearer in my order and asked for the shaving cream tube, which is made for lathering with a badger. At any rate, it convinced me once and for all that canned stuff has no redeeming value, no matter how much you throw at it.

to gels it makes them better, to creams it makes them dissolve (mind you I always bought the cheapest)

Right now we keep a can of shaving cream in the house because it is GREAT stuff for cleaning a Sea Cadet flattop hat.

I guess I should've clarified what I used is a gel, but the gels turn into a cream. At any rate, I still have yet to use anything that comes from a can that's as good as the stuff that comes from a puck or a tube.

yeah i tried lathering barbasol with some water and it left much to be desired. like, everything a good lather entails

Whether adding water works, even the worst traditional shaving cream or soap will still be better. Even modern Williams is ten times better than anything out of a can.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
My main complaint with canned creams (and gels) is they always end up being too dry when applied as is. This dryness makes for a lot of drag with the blade on the face, compared to the nice, slick lather provided by a properly mixed Kiss My Face, or Tabac. I'm just wondering if anyone has ever tried mixing a little water with these creams to see if it will slick them up a bit.

Yeah I have had luck- bad luck. Edge gel becomes a sloppy mess when water is added.

I tried adding water to Barbasol and it was a disaster.

Barbasol is stiff and dry right out of the can, but adding water just makes it thin and unprotective.

A product like KMF works much better and is almost as quick to use.

Top Bottom