What's new

Shark Stainless or Shark Chrome?

Hey all,

I'll keep it short and simple since I'm looking to order this morning, but I can't decide on which of these two to purchase.

I've been using Feather's and love them, but I have to take time to use perfect form. I had a sample pack of 5 Shark Chrome blades, and they let me complete a "on the run" shave without leading to the loss of blood Feather's would do in the same situation. I essentially want to keep using Feathers most days, but keep the Shark blades around for days when I'm in a hurry or don't care to get a BBS shave. Unless, of course, there is a popular blade that is somewhere between the two that I'm not mentioning.

Final note- I only use each blade about four shaves. I'll use each edge twice, then change blades. With my thick curly hair, it dulls anything fairly quickly.

Thanks all :thumbup1:

If it helps, I predominantly use the Feather too, but also the Bolzano and the Shark SC, and switching between these 3 blades, I do not notice a dramatic difference to cause any upset between the Feather and the other two. The Shark SC is very forgiving and a decent blade when time is not on my side. Haven't used the Shark Stainless so can't comment but highly recommend the SC.

David

Marco

B&B's Man in Italy
If it helps, I predominantly use the Feather too, but also the Bolzano and the Shark SC, and switching between these 3 blades, I do not notice a dramatic difference to cause any upset between the Feather and the other two. The Shark SC is very forgiving and a decent blade when time is not on my side. Haven't used the Shark Stainless so can't comment but highly recommend the SC.

David

+1 I recommend the Super Chrome as well. These Shark blades are sharp, comfortable and forgiving, as David properly pointed out. :thumbup1:

I only used the SS version and it is a nice enough blade. I much prefer the Lord SS (as well as the Plats and Chromes) from the same company though.

+1 For the Shark Chrome blades. Both were good for me, but I found the chromes to be more comfortable than the stainless.

Well then, I used the SS blades I got in a sampler and really liked them. Based on what I'd read at the time I bought a carton of SC which I have not yet used.

Fact is, a slight majority I've read on the boards seem to like the SS better. And there's a nearly equal division of those who prefer the SC flavor and those who feel they're both the same item in different packaging.

Taking this into account, I'd say that whichever one you use, if you like one, you'll be happy with the other. IOW, there's no apparent significant difference between them. And, unusual in this community, I haven't seen anyone saying Sharks should be melted down and turned into cans for creamed corn.

Enjoy!

Thanks everyone! :thumbup1:

I ended up ordering the SS, just to contrast the SC I've already tried. On one hand it's too bad I had to order 50 of them on Amazon, but on the other hand I think that's okay for less than 10 cents per blade.

After doing some reading in other threads here, I also ended up grabbing a steal on 30 Astra SP blades to try.

Blades for me are a bit funny- with my beard, I can't make a ATG pass with any blade (just gets too close and will always lead to ingrowns). So, the only way I can actually get a BBS shave is to make two slow, WTG passes using my Feathers. Because of this, I don't think blades are as big of deal for me as they might be for most people.

I just ordered 100 Shark Chrome. Sharks and Feathers are my top 2 blades.

Ah, from what I've tried so far, I'm in total agreement.

Just curious, if you had to quantify it, how much sharper do you feel the Feather blades are than your Shark blades? On a scale of 1-10, where would you rate each of the two blades for sharpness? I'm assuming the consensus would be Feather's would be the "10" on the scale...

In my "everything" sampler from WCS, I've found so far that Astra SP and Shark SC have been the best...Both of these blades for me have been great. My beard is heavy and grows in some weird paths on my right side of my neck..:confused1

Yesterday I tried a Gillette "yellow" 7'clock.:mad3:.. I replaced it with a Shark SC before I was even done with my left side of my face,, 1st pass... PAINFUL

These 2 blades have been smooth, sharp, and forgiving..
I use a Merkur 38c.

There have been other smooth blades in that pack on the 1st shave.. These 2 blades give me smooth shaves for 3 shaves.. Each shave is 3 passes and sometimes a little touch up...

I got some Shark SS blades with a Parker 22R I'd bought from amazon and I really liked them. I have just started trying the SCs and after shaving with only one, they seem to be sharper than the SS; ie., they give me a better shave. As I have 100 Derbys to use at 8 cents a blade, I only purchased 15 Sharks at ~50 cents a blade so I will likely try another or two and go back to working my way thru the Derbys.

I think the SCs are better. Time will tell. I am collecting data and will share once I have enough.

Just curious, if you had to quantify it, how much sharper do you feel the Feather blades are than your Shark blades? On a scale of 1-10, where would you rate each of the two blades for sharpness? I'm assuming the consensus would be Feather's would be the "10" on the scale...

For me, it would be Feather, 10, Shark SC, 7.

Top Bottom