What's new

Am I the only person in the western world not on Facebook?

captp

Pretty Pink Fairy Princess.
According to reliable sources, who shall remain unnamed, there are 147 people in the U.S. not on Facebook. The FBI is quietly hunting them down and rehabilitating them. The CIA is tracking other 7 in Europe and Asia.

I was on FaceBook....My full name is Bradley Cooper (and I am not the actor from The Hangover) so you can only imagine the requests I would get from young coeds. I cancelled my account in fear of the MRS wondering what I was up to.

So the Maryland Department of Corrections only employs people who are willing to divulge passwords to secure systems. Think about that.

God I hate the internet sometimes. :rolleyes5

http://www.theatlantic.com/technolo...sking-interviewees-for-facebook-logins/71582/
During the initial interview, or recertification processes, DPSCS does not require correctional officer applicants to provide any information related to social media. An applicant is asked if they are active users of social media. If so, the Department only asks if an applicant would provide this information. If any information is provided by an applicant, it is done so voluntarily. If an applicant does not provide this information, it is not held against them and the interview process moves forward.

So it is not a requirement to hand over your password. That is good to hear. However it was absurd to even *ask* for it.

The correct response to such a question is "I am personally accountable for actions carried out using my passwords. So I will not share them for any reason."

Asking for that information in an interview would be a self-defeating test anyway. You can't judge people by what they've done using their password if you know they give up that password to others ... beyond the fact that they are stupid enough to divulge their password.

captp

Pretty Pink Fairy Princess.
Last week I was going to Tweet everyone to let them know I have Facebook, then remembered that I don't have Twitter, and nobody is really interested in what I'm doing every 5 minutes.
"Opening my cigar case to choose a smoke"
"Enjoying the aroma of my unlit choice"
"Cutting cap off cigar"
"Deciding which lighter to use"
"Chose lighter"
"Hold on, gotta run to the john before I light up"
"AAAhhhhhhhh, relief"
"Walking back to shop to light cigar"
"Picking out a single malt to enjoy with cigar"
"O.K., now I'm even boring myself"
"Canceling Twitter account"
"Follow me on Facebook"

Seriously, though, I do have Facebook. Friended several folks from my former work (I'm retired), then hid most of them from my page, cause they were posting every 5 minutes. That's what Twitter is for.

OldSaw

The wife's investment
i had facebook when i was at penn state, but that was when it was brand new and for college students only. i can't say it was classy then, but it sure has gone downhill. i deleted my account when i graduated.

i have never read a tweet, never tweeted, never gone to twitter's main page, etc. i refuse to have anything to do with that junk.

What's a tweet?

OldSaw

The wife's investment
Yah, there's a lot of crap to wade through, but ....

I get presale notifications of tickets to good shows via Twitter - let's me have first crack at popular shows before the general public can buy.

We got stuck behind a wreck on the road to Tahoe last week, and knew from Twitter comments about how long it would take to clear and the severity of the accident. The official Caltrans website never got updated.

Let's not even talk about how much info is coming out of the Middle East right now via FB and Twitter because all other lines of communication have been cut.

That's what my CB is for.

I thought that Twitter was stupid, but it's actually not so bad. I associated it with celebrities and their tweets about whatever, but it's more than that. You can follow people with similar interests as you. For instance, you can follow people who make posts about shaving, about hunting, about sports, about politics, about a particular country, about a particular topic, etc. You can receive legitimate information about stuff you're interested in. That said, I'm not on it. I don't need an excuse to spend more time on the Internet.

OldSaw

The wife's investment
According to reliable sources, who shall remain unnamed, there are 147 people in the U.S. not on Facebook. The FBI is quietly hunting them down and rehabilitating them. The CIA is tracking other 7 in Europe and Asia.

I'm 27 and NOT on Facebook. Yes I know its pretty rare.

Holy crap! They tagged you already? I hope I'm 147 and they never find me. :lol:

CB radio is basically the same thing as Twitter, except not searchable or nearly as widely utilized.

Nor is CB dependant on a central company to provide the service. I think this is the real reason I mistrust Facebook, Twitter, etc. They are not simply a method of communication like email, they are a proprietary company service. Somewhere along the line they need to turn you into a revenue stream.

My work means I'm away from home for a month at a time six times a year and when I'm away my work Internet has a block on sites such as facebook etc. So I've never bothered setting up an account. When I get back from work I always enjoy heading down the local at the weekend and catching up with my friends over a few cold ones. However the conversations they have now seem to always revolve around what people have put up on their page etc. Infact most topics of conversation usually sees facebook get a mention, I've even had people tell me that they've seen pictures of me on peoples pages ( I'm not sure I like my image being broadcast to the world without my knowledge/permission). Am I turning into a social leper because I don't have a "page" or are there other people in the world who prefer not to publish there lives online for the world to see?

To answer the initial question posed in the title, the answer is no, you're not. I closed down and deleted my facebook and myspace accounts 3 years ago. I was no longer comfortable on those social networking sites and I was a member of both in their earlier heydays. I'm glad I got out and I wouldn't go back even if someone put a gun to my head and threatened my life. I'm happier without them.

You are better off not having any of those social network things. All people do is get themselves in trouble and let everyone know their business. Some winner who my wife " used to work with " was fired because she was bad mouthing the place of employment and one of the bosses was her friend on Facebook.....:lol:

Top Bottom