What's new

Am I the only person in the western world not on Facebook?

Can't be bothered with Facebook, texting, twitter & the like. No interest in any of it. If someone wants me they can email or call my Land-line.

No, but I have looked over my wife's shoulder when she's on facebook. I'm not knocking it, but it's not for me. Seems like a waste of time. But then, what isn't?

however, check out Lamebook, it's scream.

I'm not on "Fakebook" either. Only "twittering" around here comes from the Cardinals in my backyard bird feeder. I'm sure that the only ones who would want to "friend" me are those from the past that I tried to avoid as I would the plague. I keep up with those I care about by the ancient methods of phone and e-mail.

Never had the interest in joining and see no reason to. My wife and daughters are addicted. The all have many "friends" that are at best acquaintances.

I see no value in that.

Here you go, sign of the times:

My 32-year-old cousin sent her wedding invitations out via Facebook. My Mom didn't receive one, wondered why and was told, by me, "Because you're not on Facebook." *

My 24-year-old brother sent me a message via Facebook this afternoon that he's coming into the city and can he "crash at my place?" Well, I was out all day, don't have a SMART phone with Facebook mobile and didn't receive the message until 10 p.m. this evening. So, I'll be spending tomorrow cleaning up this pig sty. The question is, why didn't he CALL or TEXT me?

* I want to stress to you parental Facebookers that you should not, under any circumstances, send a friend request to one of your children. Please, please, please don't do this. Ask and if they're okay with it, then you do it.

I'm not on one of those so-called "social networks"
For me they are pure insanity. But each to their own I guess :001_rolle

Looked at it and went no thanks . Fortunately , non of my family or my wife's family are on it . However , a great chunk of our friends are . I also notice many of them barely check their email anymore . I can understand their point of view and see how they utilize the site for their lifestyle.

Was surprised at how easy it was to look someone up and find pictures and data on them . Wigged me out to be honest.

Most of my friends have stopped asking me to join or send friend requests.
Fine by me . Obviously as time marches on , you will be constantly looked at as strange for not having an account. Had that experience already when someone asked to "friend" me .

Call me "old school " , luddite , lunawack ....if you really need to get a hold of me - phone: mobile or landline , email , they still work .

I enjoy not existing on the internet !

Cheers,

Scott

Nope, you're not. I was in college when Facebook happened. It came to my campus in 2004. I was a member of it from 2005-2007 and that was it.

It's getting harder to ignore it, though, if you're my age. People upload everything to Facebook. Someone had a baby? "Yeah, look on Facebook!" So and so got married? "Oh, sorry, can't email you the pics, just look on Facebook instead! They're all there!" But my favorite is "I don't really have an email address anymore. Just Facebook me." Seriously?

I have even been asked if I was anti-social because of my repeated refusal to join it again.

My stance is this: in 2004 it was a waste of time. In 2007 it was still a waste of time. I doubt it is any different now.

I don't do it either. My wife argues with me that using B&B is essentially the same thing. I say it is not. We are usually talking grooming here but I concede that many "life things" come up in the barbershop. However, I have observed some of the information that comes up on facebook. Uh, not so much the same. You essentially have people putting their entire lives up on the big screen of the world for all to see. It strikes me that almost no one has any modesty anymore.

Facebook has been the ruination of many a career and private relationship. As many mention, a good dose of COMMON SENSE would go a long way toward keeping the privacy issues at bay. I think the whole social networking issue is really just getting started. It will become even more pervasive as time goes by. Facebook supplanted MySpace in a hurry. I think something newer, better, (read; more popular with kids) will come along and then Facebook will be for us oldsters and non-hip people. Me, I just do not have a desire to broadcast life, even to a few selected "friends". Heck, I won't even text message. Bloody Morse code of the twenty-first century if you ask me. I pick up my phone and talk to people.

Regards, Todd

Top Bottom