What's new

Costco v. Sam's Club

We have both of these wholesale clubs available here and I would like to join one.

Does anyone have suggestions of one over the other? For any particular reason?

I don't like Sams or WalMart for the way they treat their staff...

Living in Oklahoma I have seen how Wal Mart will build in a small town...slash prices and this causes the local places to go out of business...then they raised all the prices ....

The have done this all over Oklahoma...the bad part is you can drive all around Oklahoma and see a bunch of empty Wal Mart buildings...

It is a company that will keep building larger buildings and leaving the old buildings to sit ...and rot..

They are real bad at working people only 37 hours a week so that they won't get any benefits...

Trust me on this the owners..the Robinsons and Waltons are all worth billions...

And most of their employees can hardly survive..

In addition to Wal-Mart's well-deserved reputation, mentioned in the above posts, Costco has received favorable press regarding its management's concern for its employees. Also, in some parts of the country, a third alternative is B.J.'s Wholesale.

Costco, until recently, had a lifetime guarantee on all their products. As long as you kept being a member and you had a copy of your original receipt, you could walk into the store 5 years later w/the product and get your money back. That made the $50 fee worth it to me and my wife when we got our new plasma there last year.

Since then, because of the dropping prices in flat screen TV's people have been taking advantage of the guarantee and returing their TVs and then upgrading or buying the same TV for less. This really killed Costco last year and they had to make some changes. All previously purchased TVs are grandfathered in though, so we're set if anything goes wrong w/ours.

Now, they offer a 90day return on TVs (and possibly other electronics), but everything else they sell is still lifetime guaranteed (including major home appliances like refrigerators).

I've heard that Sams actually has the same guarantee (I can't verify this), they just don't advertise it as much. I've never had to return anything to Sams, but I have at Costco and it was no problem.

~Joshua

Costco has really great deals on lots of food items - including olive oil, brownie mixes, tortilla chips, organic eggs, butter, sugar, etc. Good wine and bread, too!

Plus, they carry a lot of really great bargains. For instance, right now you can get a Le Creuset dutch oven over 9 qts for $159. Or when I bought a circular saw, I got a Skil worm drive for $159. Great prices on matresses, sofas, lawnmowers, clothes - (i.e. haggar pants for $15). Plus, their pharmacy is really great. I can't say enough about what a quality company Costco is.

Sam's club is more conveniently located to me, so they get my business. Gas prices are always at least 10 cents a gallon cheaper than places right down the road from them.

Sam's club is more conveniently located to me, so they get my business. Gas prices are always at least 10 cents a gallon cheaper than places right down the road from them.

In Oklahoma they ended up getting fined for selling gas for less than they bought it...A big no..no..

The crazy part about it was that WalMart would pay the fine every month..

Then they were told not to do it again otherwise they couldn't sell gas..

COSTCO all the way. We bought there in Phoenix and now in Cincinnati. I have a habit of always noticing attitudes of the employees; whether a service provider or a customer.

COSTCO employees always seem fired up about their jobs and their company. I cannot say the same for Sam's or Walmart.

Costco. They are the most convenient for us, plus they have better looking women working there.

Costco is WAY BETTER. Quality products and a great price

Sams club is Walmart products only in larger quantities

I have a membership for both for the time being. I prefer Costco. Better selection. Prices seem to be about the same.

Randy

+26 on Costco. We moved from a place with Costco to a place with only Sam's. We really miss Costco. Higher end, better quality stuff.
-Jim

In Indy, I did Sam's. In Cleveland, I switched to Costco simply due to its proximity. I MUCH prefer Costco for all the reasons mentioned previously.

We have had a membership at Sam's for about 6 years. We just joined Costco as one just opened nearby. So far, I have to give a big edge to Costco. Better merchandise and service. The one product that I received as a promo and have since purchased is their Kirkland brand soap....pretty nice stuff.

Costco for me.

Patrick

My impression:

Sam's:
Pros:
-Readily available - there is always one close
-Cheaper on generic goods
Cons
-Worse service
-Cheaper brands - House brand is crap

Costco:
Pros
- Kirkland (house) brand is equal or better quality than most - especially the luggage and oxford button-downs
- Higher quality goods, better brands all around
- Kick-*** wine section, great cakes
Cons:
- Not as available

I had both, I dumped Sams. If I'm going to buy in bulk, I might as well get better quality.

I appreciate the good feedback.

My fiancé and I have checked out Sams and will check out Costco this weekend.

Sam's is three miles from me.
Costco is 18 miles away down a congested freeway.

We shop at Sam's and find their products and prices good. But - if Costco were at least somewhat closer, we would drop Sam's in a heartbeat.

Top Bottom