What's new

Kent vs Simpson

Currently have a Simpson Colonel X2L and am thinking of adding another brush. Found two deals on a Kent BK2 and BK4. In one case 50% off. What is the opinions of these two brushes? Better or worse than the Colonel?

They're fine brushes, I have the Bk4 and it works. For me, it's just a bit too soft. The only way I like to use it these days is with my fingers supporting the bottom of the knot to keep it from splaying out to much while I work up a lather. If you're looking for an extremely soft and loosely packed brush the Bk4 is it. If you want something with more back bone and a densely packed knot I'd look elsewhere.

I've never used the Colonel X2l so I can comment there.

Kent is a much softer brush. Some may characterize it as a bit floppy but it works well. The Simpson in best is a different brush altogether in that it has more backbone.

Kent is a much softer brush. Some may characterize it as a bit floppy but it works well. The Simpson in best is a different brush altogether in that it has more backbone.

The Simpson Colonel X2L Best is a great all round brush, suitable for soaps and creams, and it face lathers excellently. The Kent BK4 is an extemely floppy brush, and having little backbone, I use it exclusively to face lather my Valobra and La Toja sticks. Great feeling on the skin but not as practical for hard soaps in puck form.

David

For the money I would get another Colonel X2L in 2-band. Then you'd have a great cream brush and a great soap brush. I personally like the Morris and Forndran Blonde Badger, but that's just me.

The Colonel was designed as a good allrounder. The Kent's in question are great brushes but much more suited for face lathering/creams.

(Not that I am biased :001_rolle)

Gary

I have both the X2L and BK4 and while quite different, they are both very good brushes. The BK4 is much softer and less scrubby, but I would not characterize mine as floppy. I have several floppy brushes, and the BK4 is not one of them. The knot is soft and compliant, but at least mine is shaped in such a way that it does not splay excessively unless I mash it. While it takes more effort and longer to load hard soaps than the Colonel, it is up to the task, and it holds and releases the lather well. I also really like the look and feel of the handle and the nice display case it comes with.

Currently have a Simpson Colonel X2L and am thinking of adding another brush. Found two deals on a Kent BK2 and BK4. In one case 50% off. What is the opinions of these two brushes? Better or worse than the Colonel?

Better or worse? --neither, they are completely different brushes. The Colonel is excellent and I'd favor the BK4 over the BK2.

The expected B&B recommendation would be to buy both. :laugh:

-- John Gehman

Top Bottom