What's new

Is the Muhle R101 open comb to difficult for a noob?

I was wondering if a neophyte may attempt an open comb. I believe the Muhle R101 is a pretty mild OC. Thoughts or suggestions?

proxy.php

Last edited:

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
I think that some razors, such as a slant, should be used by a more experienced user. I never used the R101 so cannot really comment. However, if the general consensus is a mild razor, you should be fine.

I use the R41 which is the same head with the chrome handle. I find this to be a very mild razor which is contrary to what I was expecting, the first time I used it. In fact, I find it a little too mild and prefer my EJ89L. It gives variety though and I like that. Being such a mild razor, it works excellently, like the 89L, with the sharper blades such as Feathers.

David

I have no experience with that razor. But I do love open comb razors. Try it. You might like a milder razor. Better for beginners. If you look around you'll discover very few of us have just one razor. Once experienced and you have mastered the technique, then step up to a more aggressive razor.

Enjoy

I have no experience with that razor. But I do love open comb razors. Try it. You might like a milder razor. Better for beginners. If you look around you'll discover very few of us have just one razor. Once experienced and you have mastered the technique, then step up to a more aggressive razor.

Enjoy

Today was my 1 week of DE shaving. I have an EJ98L and a feather blade in it and it took me about 10min to shave. Lately no irritations, DNS like I've been doing it for a while. I feel confident enough to probably give it a go.

I think as long as you remember ZERO pressure you'll be fine. Stick with milder blades for the first few months like red personnas or crystals before moving up to sharpies. There are skills to learn but the actual razor may not actually be the most important factor.

I've been using the R 101 for about a month with Red Personna's, Dorco 301's, Gillette 7 O'Clock's and Sharks and it gives an extremely mild shave. No risk to a newbie with a good prep and technique.

I have been looking(itching) to get a new razor, upgrade from a Weishi. I am about 2 months in, and I been thinking about a R41, or a Gillette adjustable. I also shave my head. Does anyone here shave their head with an OC? I was thinking of the Wieshi for the head, and the new razor for the face.

Top Bottom