What's new

Thoughts on this brush

I just picked up this brush from a local store. I payed $45 for it. I gave it its first test run. I lathered with a mama bear's soap in a bowl and then applied. To be completely honest, I was really impressed. It seemed a little flimsy and kind of folded over when on my face, it also lost four hairs. Maybe I'm expecting to much from it? They said if I wasn't happy with it, that I could return or exchange it. What are your thoughts? It is badger and had good weight. Be honest on your thoughts.

Nickel Ivory from Edwin Jagger

proxy.php

proxy.php

-Gianni-

OK, take into account that I have no direct experience with that brand of brush, but I am aware of the many good reviews that the brand receives. Here are my thoughts just looking at the picture:

A) It is certainly a nice looking brush
B) The loft seems a bit high
C) The knot seems a bit narrow
D) I am guessing that you are paying more for the handle than for the knot on this particular model.

I am sure that someone much more familiar with this brand and particular model will be along shortly, but I hope that helps a bit.

Cheers!
-Greg

Definitly don't care for the knot: that's EJ pure badger, and it's way too prickly for me--definitely a deal breaker. However, I've not seen that handle before. If it is no longer produced, I would probably keep it and eventually replace the knot.

Its a good looking brush for sure. Any brush will take a few shaves to get use to, but if everything works out then its a good brush. I wouldn't worry about the loss of the occasional hair, that can happen at anytime. If it continues though there could be a problem with it. :001_rolle

OK, take into account that I have no direct experience with that brand of brush, but I am aware of the many good reviews that the brand receives. Here are my thoughts just looking at the picture:

A) It is certainly a nice looking brush
B) The loft seems a bit high
C) The knot seems a bit narrow
D) I am guessing that you are paying more for the handle than for the knot on this particular model.

I am sure that someone much more familiar with this brand and particular model will be along shortly, but I hope that helps a bit.

Cheers!
-Greg

You know, I didn't think of that. "paying for the handle" That certainly makes a lot of sense.

-Gianni-

What I enjoyed the least is how "floppy" the knot is even when loaded with lather. It feels more like a paint brush on my face.

-Gianni-

What I enjoyed the least is how "floppy" the knot is even when loaded with lather. It feels more like a paint brush on my face.

-Gianni-

Yeah, for sure what you have there is just about the cheapest grade of badger hair in a really nice handle. If you look around you will see a Col. Conk or Vulfix "pure badger" brush for about $25. It's that same hair in a generic handle.

-Greg

I'm thinking I might return this. Any suggestions for brushes in the $40s or close to and why those ones?

-Gianni-

I'm thinking I might return this. Any suggestions for brushes in the $40s or close to and why those ones?

-Gianni-

Simpson Berkeley in Best. It's small in hand but has a dense knot with short loft. The tips on mine are really soft as well. I've used it the last couple of days and am extremely pleased with how it performs. It's about $50 shipped from West Coast Shaving when you use the B&B discount.

I would go with the Vulfix 404 'Grosvenor' boar/badger blend for about $25-30. Great for soaps and creams, awesome face lathering brush, soft but great backbone, and the handle is just fantastic.

Or, the Omega 81569 boar. Stylish, great latherer, soft but stiff. It cost me about $16 and I compare it favorably to a best badger brush that I paid 4x as much for.

I'll probably never spend more than $25 for a brush again.

Cheers!
-Greg

So you've already bought all the seriously expensive brushes, huh? :lol:

Noooooooooo but I get plenty of satisfaction and efficacy out of the brushes I DO have, the most expensive of which was $65 and it is as soft and firm as I need/want it to be and the boars that I have are good and getting better as they break in. It IS possible for one to find what works for him without having to buy EVERY brush or razor or blade or soap. :wink2: But you go right ahead and keep on buying just as many brushes as YOU please. :001_smile

Cheers!
-Greg

ahhh the beauty of wet shaving ... it is all about YMMV ... what will work for one may not work for another ... if the brush works for you then awesome

But you go right ahead and keep on buying just as many brushes as YOU please. :001_smile

Thanks, I'll do that! :001_smile My problem there is that I think I already have the best brushes, see my sig. I still want to try a Chubby 2 in Best. And I just got a $10 boar from Omega. And then there's the antique travel brush I got several months ago which appears to be in Pure...

I was fairly impressed with the Rooney Super which, ironically, is $39.99 at Vintage Blades.

I wrote a review here a while ago.

I agree with those that say re-knot it. That handle is just soooo pretty, and I bet its got some nice heft and good balance to it, too. I've never seen one like that before.

If you don't want to go that route, please don't return it. Sell it here on the BST. It will get snapped up in no time flat.

Great Handle! Sometimes the "paint brush" feel is a relaxing change for a shave. I have a pure with a 56 loft and it gives me this option.

i just saw these yesterday and i gotta say the handles are very very nice looking. id even be willing to spend the money to get the handle and give it a new knot i think its that nice of a handle.

Top Bottom