What's new

Edwin-Jagger and Muhle heads all the same?

I'm a newbie and about to get my first DE, just to see if I'll like it.

I'm not interested in color, polish or plating type.

EJ and Muhle are available nearby, and seem to have good reputations.

So, as far as 3-piece razors go, are all their heads all the same geometrically?

If so their $30 would perform as well as their $150+ models...right? (excluding balance and grip preferences).

Last edited:
I believe you will find the heads are the same, the variable being the handle. Muhle has its Sophist range, but that's all that differs them from their Classic range. I'd go for the EJ89L. It's my favourite, and the finish is superb.

David

I believe you will find the heads are the same, the variable being the handle. Muhle has its Sophist range, but that's all that differs them from their Classic range. I'd go for the EJ89L. It's my favourite, and the finish is superb.

David

+1. Go EJ89L

I've got an EJ DE89L. Coming from a guy who's been DE and Wetshaving for 10+years, it is my daily shaver. By far my favorite performer. I'm certain I could throw a sheet of galvanized steel siding into it, shave ATG, and get a smooth shave.

There's even an 89'ers fan club here at B&B.

I'm pretty certain the DE86 and DE87 have the same Muhle head too, just the handle is different (the 86 is faux ebony, the 87 is faux ivory).

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
I'm a newbie and about to get my first DE, just to see if I'll like it.

I'm not interested in color, polish or plating type.

EJ and Muhle are available nearby, and seem to have good reputations.

So, as far as 3-piece razors go, are all their heads all the same geometrically?

If so their $30 would perform as well as their $150+ models...right? (excluding balance and grip preferences).

Get the EJ89L (lined handle)- same head, and an excellent chrome job.

Thanks for the confirmation guys:thumbup:

I wanted to give DE shaving a fair shot...so didn't want to buy junk, nor did I want to spend $200 bucks to find out that DE shaving wasn't for me.

I wanted the Honda of razors and it seems I've found it with a $30 EJ...maybe even better than Honda according to what was said:thumbup1:

I started off wit ha cheap, cheap cheap DE and that should have made me turn away. In retrospect I should have started with my EJ89.

Now I've turned into one of those people who keep buying vintage razors for some unknown reason ....

I just got my EJ DE87 (faux ivory handle) less than a week ago. I'm liking it quite a bit. It probably will end up as my daily razor.

Thanks for the confirmation guys:thumbup:

I wanted to give DE shaving a fair shot...so didn't want to buy junk, nor did I want to spend $200 bucks to find out that DE shaving wasn't for me.

I wanted the Honda of razors and it seems I've found it with a $30 EJ...maybe even better than Honda according to what was said:thumbup1:

You will spend $200+ in no time... Trust me on this. :)

Are the Chatsworth heads the same as the DE89 now? I read on this board that the Chatsworth used a Merkur HD head...

Shane

Early models used a Merkur head but not those now in production

I've just read that too in the BB social group dedicated to the EJ 89 razor.

Since I will be going to an actual store to buy the razor, is there a way to tell them apart by looking at the packaging or the razor itself?

Top Bottom