What's new

Brush Advice: Rooney, Simpson, Shavemac?

I know this will generate substantially different responses, but I'd like everybody's advice regarding an appropriate brush. I'm still using the brush that came with my Futur set, and while I think it's great, I hear so much about other brushes that I just need to try one (or possibly two... or three) more.

I should start by saying that I'm looking for a silvertip or 'super silvertip,' and I don't want to spend over $100 US, and even better would be 75-85. I know Rooney's 2/1 lies in this range, but are there any additional suggestions in this pricing category?

Another option I am considering is a custom brush from elite razors (like I mentioned in the razor thread I recently started). Those go for about 75 as well, and it appears as if they are of extremely high quality. Thoughts?

Regards,

Jon

I mostly bowl lather with soaps (MB & AoS), but I am not opposed to face lathering. Recently purchased a Speick stick which I have face lathered, I just haven't done it enough to be sold completely.

I'd suggest a Rooney 3/1. It's a very nice bowl lathering brush that works well on the face too. It's also right on the low end in your price range.

My first real brush was/is a Custom Shavemac D01 Silvertip and it is a great brush and I didn't think anything could compete with it. I needed/wanted another brush so I bought a Colonel 2XL in best and it is fantastic, especially for my face lathering. It did take me several times using it before I "figured it out". I do not own a Rooney yet (you would think I would since that's my middle name" or a boar brush.

I am going to Lisbon in April and I'll probably get a Semogue since that's where they are made (I believe).

Buy as many different brushes as your budget & SWMBO will allow! :001_smile

Is there a significant difference between finest and silvertip?

Each manufacturer defines those differently. For Simpson, "Super" is their top grade, followed by Best. For Rooney, Finest is tops (and no longer available), followed by Super Silvertip, then Best. For Shavemac, D01 is tops, followed by Super Silvertip. Shavemac's Finest grade is actually a blend of Silvertip and Pure.

I just got my first silvertip over a week ago (custom Shavemac) and used it 3 times. I kinda prefer a pure badger now?!(other brush is AOS pure badger) the silvertip seems to require more product (I use cream and face lather) then a pure and seems to hog all the cream in the center of the brush. Is this normal with silvertips?? will it improve with use??

I just got my first silvertip over a week ago (custom Shavemac) and used it 3 times. I kinda prefer a pure badger now?!(other brush is AOS pure badger) the silvertip seems to require more product (I use cream and face lather) then a pure and seems to hog all the cream in the center of the brush. Is this normal with silvertips?? will it improve with use??

I think it as more to do with the density of the brush, and silvertips tend to be a bit more densely packed than pures in my experience.

If you are considering Shavemac you should also consider the Savile Row. The 3XXX series in Silvertip is a fantastic brush.

Each manufacturer defines those differently. For Simpson, "Super" is their top grade, followed by Best. For Rooney, Finest is tops (and no longer available), followed by Super Silvertip, then Best. For Shavemac, D01 is tops, followed by Super Silvertip. Shavemac's Finest grade is actually a blend of Silvertip and Pure.

Correction: Heritage XL is Rooney's top grade. :tongue_sm

Actually I believe Rooney went:

Finest (Two band only) > Heritage (Three band and Two Band) > Super > Silvertip > Best > Pure.

I would recommend either a Duke 2 in Best or a Custom with a TGN 24mm Finest (45-50mm loft) or SuperSilvertip(40-45mm loft).

So lets see... a Rooney 3/1 or 2/1 or 1/1 for 75 in Super silvertip or a Shavemac 177 21mm or #25 in 21mm for 85. Any thoughts between these two?

So lets see... a Rooney 3/1 or 2/1 or 1/1 for 75 in Super silvertip or a Shavemac 177 21mm or #25 in 21mm for 85. Any thoughts between these two?

The Rooneys are classic "English-style" brushes with fan shaped knots. Some find them plenty dense, others not so much. They are good, all-around performers. The Shavemacs are more continental in style with bulb shaped knots that also perform very well. The same caveats about density apply. It's hard to go wrong with any of the five.

Top Bottom